Re: Senate's apology for slavery last week

I think it was certainly a good thing, but take a look at this article:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=101760

Wow ! How did our popular understanding of the 2 parties get so completely switched? ! Was it because of an excellent, decades-long public-relations campaign? (Especially since liberals and not conservatives decided back in the late 60's to take over children's education and re-write history in the textbooks.)

waldorfmom

Asked by waldorfmom at 3:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The campaign to cover up the truth sure worked on me ! I had no idea about this 160 years of history and current events - it was very successfully slipped out of sight in what I learned about Lincoln, the Civil War, AND the civil rights movement & the political fighting over the Constitutional amendments.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Disgusting , they definately were not apologising on my behalf. I'm sorry, but I had nothing to do with slavery and I don't think my parents or grandparents did either coming from Germany. Even if they did I'm not going to apologize for something that would have happened a hundred years before I was born. I think blacks need to get over it now. For crying out loud we elected a semi black man to the Presidency. there are just some who will never let it drop. I'm sure congress is all broken up over slavery anyway. They are just trying to appease a sement of America.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It's the very last line in the article that upsets me "...--and pay reparations" I am very much afraid that is where this is all leading in the end. After all the states have sfficiently humbled themselves and aplolgised for slavery on the behalf of people who never personally owned any slave, to people who were never personally enslaved, they will slip in a "white tax" some dark night and we will all wake up owing a new tax depending on the color of our skins. We will be told this is legal and right because for generations other people were enslaved just because of the color of their skins. Well, I have got to say, I am really sorry about that, but I didn't do it! Why do I have to pay for it--not to the persons who were enslaved, but to their decendants, for the actions of (possibly) my ancestors for actions which all ended 160 years ago?
    Anonymous

• Apologize for slavery. My family helped the underground railroad. I apologize for the dark hearts of people who kept slaves.
    Anonymous

___
    So you also disagree with the paying of American Indians for what we did to them?
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• how many times do they have to apologize>
    this is getting freaking OLD
    Anonymous

• So you also disagree with the paying of American Indians for what we did to them?

I disagree with paying money for something done before my great parents were born to people who NEVER experienced the travesty.

Anonymous

As it so happens, I am 3/4 American Indian, and you didn't do anything to me personally, and don't owe me anything. If you want to give me money, I will happily take it, and laugh at your stupidity and unnecessary "White Guilt" all the way to the bank.

Anonymous

• As it so happens, I am 3/4 American Indian, and you didn't do anything to me personally, and don't owe me anything. If you want to give me money, I will happily take it, and laugh at your stupidity and unnecessary "White Guilt" all the way to the bank.

So does that mean that you are receiving the money?  It's out there for anyone who is 1/16 or higher, but you have to prove it.

I am 1/8 Native American, and we do not receive the money.  My uncle found the necessary records a few years ago, though. 

I don't have "white guilt" but I think it's terrible what we as a country did to them, and since we can't pay those that we hurt, we pay their descendants.

I would guess that AA who wanted the money would have to prove that their ancestors were actually slaves.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If there is anyone living today who was a slave I say give them reperations. They are all dead as are their children. The grandchildren are who are crying out for reparations. Why not ask for reparations from the countries where their own native people sold them too? My neighbor is a descendent from slaves and she is white. Should she get reparations too? My great great grandmother was a slave can I get reparations. I am a pale skinned as they come. My great great grandfather on my mothers side was a slave owner should I pay myself? There is no way to pay reparations. If someone really wants to go back to the country of their families origin to live then I say we pay for the tickets other than that there is not much we can do. Handing money out to people who have never been slaves and have the same opportunites as anyone seems very ridiculous.
    Anonymous