is 16 months too early to start potty training my son? do you have any tips or recommendations?

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my fiance's major used to be child psychology so since im prego i took an interest in learning as much as possible but it says that a babies mind and body is developed enough at a year and a half and it will be a smoother process if you wait until that point but if ur child expresses interest in it a couple months younger than i see no problem

OH YEAH
    MAKE IT THE MOST EXCITING THING EVER....BE REALLY HAPPY WHEN THEY SUCCEED
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It is not too early if he can express himself & follow basic instructions. The easiest way is to simply start every day with a trip to the potty & take regular potty breaks during the day (but not so many it becomes tedious). When he goes let him know that is what you were after, when he doesn't, be just as positive saying you can try again later. Starting early keeps you from having to bother with bribes, games, etc. You just let him know what you expect. Don't treat dirty diapers as a bad thing, but try to catch them immediately, mention that it isn't comfortable, and let him know that next time he will avoid that discomfort if he goes to the potty to go. It really is easier at this age, they just get it, like they get drinking from a cup instead of a bottle & there is no battle of wills.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I think it is ok if he is showing interest. My dd is 2 and fully potty trained, I bought her a potty at 1 1/2 and she liked it but she wasnt ready to use it so I waited for her and it took one week to be fully potty trained.

I would recommend not using pull ups if you can, just by some underwear its a mess but they feel more. The first few day I did use pull ups ONLY when we had to go to run errands adn it was going to take more than an hour. Dont get mad when he has accidents and praise him for going on the potty.
    Anonymous

• Keep in mind that boys overall tend to train later. If he isn't yet telling you when he pees/poops or at least aware of it, he's too young. We bought our son a potty at 2 and while he likes to play with it and sit on it fully dressed, he screams and bolts if you try to sit him on it without a diaper.. He'll tell us when he's pooping but clearly he isn't quite ready yet.

I've also been told you should wait until the child can go for two hours (i.e. through a nap) and remain dry.
    Anonymous

• Don't force the issue...he's still a bit young for toilet training. But you can acquaint him with the potty. Let him sit on it when he shows interest, etc.
    Anonymous