What do you think about changing jobs for fertility coverage?

I recently heard on a forum that Starbucks offers infertility coverage. I have done research (and it is true, they do) and found A LOT of companies that offer coverage with fulltime employees (Ace Hardware, Dillards, Continental Airlines and Alltel Corporation, just to name a few!!) Some of these companies give you up to 3 or 4 IVF tries! (hoping we don't have to go that far)
What do you think of changing jobs for this coverage?Dh and I have been trying for 2 years and nothing. We do have health insurance but it does not cover any fertility expenses. I was scheduled for a hsg but it was stopped because of our insurance and our inability to pay $1200 out of pocket that the hospital charges. Is this a good move? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• There is no harm in looking for a position with one of these companies, but I wouldn't leave your current job unless you have a job offer. I'd also maybe do a little more digging into it, several of the places you mentioned are retaill businesses where if you are only hired part-time you may not have the same coverage OR you have to be employed there for at least 6 months to a year to be eligible for the coverage!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If there's nothing holding you at the job you've got, then it sounds like as good a reason as any. Nobody questions changing jobs for higher pay, and that's basically what you're doing, except you're taking the pay in the form of benefits instead of money.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I'd find out first if any have preexisiting clauses. If your doctor wrote in your records about concerns of fertility that in this day and age could be perceived as being pre=eixisiting. Some insurances check the national medical bureau. I'd check out preexistings clauses and make sure all around it's better insurance and a better job in the long run. Prayers to you.
    Anonymous

• Hi, I am the op. My doctor has not diagnosed anything yet((thank God, right?). Although I did discuss my concerns at my yearly checkup in May.We do not have any funds for fertility testing .

Thanks for bringing that up, though! I guess it would be better to find a decent job with benefits before getting diagnosed.
    Anonymous

• Yes I know, I stated "fulltime" in my post. I have been doing some research over the last month or so :-). I also am apart of a forum and yes, I am aware that you have to be employed sometimes for a year to receive coverage as some of the women there had to wait for coverage.
    Anonymous

• You gotta do what you gotta do! lol Good luck!
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 6:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• In addition to the above, one thing you have to think about is that any of these companies can change the type of insurance coverage they provide for their employees, and if they are trying to cut costs that is one place a lot of companies do it.

Also, be careful with the word "covered" because it can really mean partially covered. My insurance covered pretty well through the testing and diagnosis phase, but then it went to 50% for the actual treatments and covered NONE of the fertility drugs. In a lot of cases the drugs cost as much or even more than procedures and monitoring. My treatment cost me very little because my insurance paid a lot, but my fertility drugs ran about $5,000 per cycle.

I'm not trying to discourage you - I'd just hate for you to think you had the perfect deal and then find that there was yet another surprise that costs more than you are prepared to pay.

Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009