Do you have life insurance for you and/or your children?

This was a topic of descusssion latley in our family as we had a family member pass away recently. She had it and it made much more barable. There was still some cost but not near like if we had to pay the whole thing.

I do not have any but my husband does through work. We plan on purchasing it for the two of us but can not bare the though of getting it for our son.

So just wondering....
Do you have it for you and your spouse and do you have if for your children? Why or why not?

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 3:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• My husband and I each have a fairly small funeral insurance policy to cover final expenses, but it's whole life so it's gaining equity.

We also have policies on each of our children. Nothing huge, but enough to cover expenses also whole life and it is the kind of policy they can use for college later on or maintain for their own insurance needs.

Through his work dh has a policy as well as through the bank. I don't think there's anything extra on me at this point, though in the past there were very good policies on each of us. We've not been able to maintain them over the years. But we always have those funeral policies.

We cleaned a funeral home for almost 2 years and it opened our eyes to the needs of insurance!!
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my husband has it through the military, i have a small policy as well mainly it would cover funeral expenses, loans and about 6 months of daycare. i don't have policies on my children, can't even fathom having policies on them
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My husband has it I don't but should even tho I'm a homemaker. I know AAA for members offers low cost life insurance.
    Anonymous

• my hubby has one through the military and his regualr job, I have a policy with my nursing association....dont have one for my daughter though.....most children dont need life insurance policy.....it seems like a waste of money...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My husband is military. We have family SGLI, which I think most military members do. We have 100,000 on me, and 10,000 each on the kids.

My husband is insured for over a million dollars, though.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I carry mine through my job for my children and I. I want to be sure that we're all covered if anything were to happen. If something happens I don't want to add extra stress to my family. Plus, it's cheaper to get it the younger you are. For me a 60,000 policy is only $4 a month. My children automatically get $10,000 policies for free.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We pay 5.50 a month for it...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my SO has a 500k policy for himself. soon we will be getting a policy on me as well.. since he is self employed its not as cheap as if he had a regular job...

ive thought about getting it for the children but havent yet
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My hubby and I both have one on ourselves. Got it when our son was born.
    Anonymous

• At the moment I just have life insurance on myself. We will be soon getting it for my hubby...he had been a cig smoker...so I know it can be more expensive. I purchased my ins when I was 21...so now its only 35. I am now 28 and thankful that my parents told me to do that.
    I will not get ins on my son...I know people do that..but it kinda freaks me out in a morbid way. thats just my opinion. But I know I want my hubby to get ins on him just in case. I am a stay at home mom with no college degree.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2009