• In the Spotlight:

I have a 3 year old son with PDD-NOS. If I choose to have another child is it likely he will be on the autism spectrum as well?

LSmomof1

Asked by LSmomof1 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I also have a child with autism. From what I've researched and learned is that there's about a 5-8% chance that the siblings will have autism. Has has had any bloodwork done to check for the fragile x chromosome? My son just had it done and if that's present the chances are supposed to be higher.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• yeah they said that everything with his genes are normal. thats i interesting about the chances, thanks for the info!!
    LSmomof1

Answer by LSmomof1 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• The chance of having one kid with autism is 1 in 150. The chances of having a second with autism are slightly higher.

I have two suspected of being on the spectrum. (they're so close together, there was no way to know...)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Hello, I have two diagnosed with autism. My first son, is my only "typical" child who does not have the diagnosis. My second and last born both have a diagnosis of autism. It's pretty crazy statistics for me anyways. I have only 3 boys, and got two on the spectrum, back to back in birth order.
    TwinkleInMyEye3

Answer by TwinkleInMyEye3 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• no iam a mother of two my oldest don't have autism no developmental disorder at all but my 3 yr old have pdd-nos so i don't think so
    lovejoy

Answer by lovejoy at 2:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2009