Red flags or am I paranoid?

My ds just turned 1 years old 2 weeks ago. Actually 11 months adjusted I guess because he was premature. He does not wave goodbye or point yet and does not have any single words besides mama and dada yet he babbles NON STOP. Should I be worried about this. He is in early intervention for a gorss motor delay that he had but caught up in a month, he is almost walking now. The evlauators and therapists tell me he doesnt show any signs of autism or have any characteristics. But when I read about autism it says that the red flags are no pinting or waving or single words by 1 years old. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are paranoid right now, but monitor the areas of your concerns for later. He's only 11 months adjusted...you need to continue to adjust his age until he is 2.

He babbles. That's good. I'd also listen to the evaluators and therapists....they're pretty good at what they do (or they wouldn't still be around if the parents in your area are like me! lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My daughter was born a month early, and she didn't really talk at all at 1 year, but she babbled like a mad-woman. I was always told that as long as she babbled as if she was having an actual conversation, it was fine. She's two and a half now, and within the past couple of months has just finally started using words and forming sentences. Since your son is making noise, and isn't silent, I wouldn't worry.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My son was 6 weeks premature and had many of the same problems. He didn't start pointing, waving bye-bye or talking until after 18 months. I had him evaluated at 18 months (at my pediatricians recommendation) and he started EI for cognitive and speech delays. At 26 months he's fully caught up on cognitive and very close on speech. The Early Intervention folks are pretty good about being able to identify autism so if they aren't worried, I wouldn't be.

I assume your EI team will re-evaluate him at 18 months if he still isn't talking and will update your services to include speech therapy in some form. (Don't be surprised if they initially start with a Developmental Interventionist vs speech therapist. A speech therapist may not be assigned unless there's a specific oral problem identified like low muscle tone.)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• He is walking a little early and has been concentarating on his gross motor skills. Does he respond to what you say? Does he ask for what he wants in some way? If he is doing some form of communication at this point I wouldn't worry. The more you worry the more you will see signs. Trust the expects you have or seek one out if you can't stop worry. It is better to have peace of mind. Good luck
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• A lot can happen in the span of a month. He is only 11 months adjusted. My bet is he'll be pointing and doing a lot more next month. My son was 11 months old when he started pointing at things. He began to wave at 11 months old, but didn't do it regularly until 12 months old. By the sounds of it, your son is on the right track.
    Anonymous

• I agree that it's not time to freak yet. (mom of 2 with autism and an early intervention therapist myself) I would suggest keeping a very close eye on the key milestones (pointing, waving, talking, back/forth communication, appropriate play, eye contact, etc) for at least another year. HOWEVER... I want to warn you not to trust your therapists or doctor 100%, I have seen a ton of kids with missed diagnoses that would have made a lot more progress had they gotten the appropriate help earlier on. Bottom line...if you are still concerned in a month or two pitch a huge fit to the early intervention people until they offer more assistance. If it turns out there IS a problem, you will gain progress at a crucial time...worst case scenario, you will have flipped out over nothing, no harm done to your child. There is more danger in under-reacting than over-reacting. Good luck!
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 1:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2009