hey does anyone know how to get out of a stuffy head & nose.?

Im so congested that can barely breath and sometimes I feel a little dizzy .Ive already have spoken to a doctor and I am taking the medicine he told me to take .but its not working fast enough'or doing hardly anything. I need some more help.

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 3:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Health

• Drink lots of liquids (especially hot ones), they help keep the mucus runny, rather than gloppy. Take a long shower. Sit over a steam humidifier, or pour boiling water into a large bowl, put it on the table in front of you, and put a towel over your head to keep the steam in.
    Go to the drugstore and buy saline nasal spray. Use it a lot (no medicine in it, so you can go crazy.) Suck on Hall's mentho-lyptus cough drops. Sometimes the vapors help clear you. Rub Vick's vaporub on your chest. OK, I've exhausted all the things that have worked for me in the past.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I take mucinex, but if the doctor didn't say to use it, then you shouldn't.

Something that I have discovered is a Netipot- I used to use saline rinses in my nostrils, but the netipot is actually better. To do a saline rinse and not have to go out and buy something, mix a little (non-iodized) salt in a glass of warm water. Stick you nose in it and gently sniff up some of the solution and spit it out, do it several times, you can also gargle with the solution. I like the netipot because it comes with premeasured solution mix that I mix with warm water (you can buy the little envelopes, too and not the netipot, and use them in a glass as I described above.) To use the pot you tilt your head over the sink and slowly pour the solution in one nostril and it comes out the other. It clears out all kinds of allergens in the nose plus other stuff in there.

Answer by Bmat at 4:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I used the sinus rinse. You just keep on flushing out your sinuses and you will be able to breathe. I did it at least 8 times a day until the mucus started to turn clear.
    The rinse comes in a box with a bottle and salt. You put the salt in the bottle with water and put the bottle in one nostril and will clear out through the other side and even your mouth. You will feel so much getter.
    Good luck and feel better
    lovemy2kidsfor

Answer by lovemy2kidsfor at 4:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster, use a netipot, I've heard great things about it. My mom uses one too.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• An old trick that I've learned to use on my kids, also works for me:

Rub Vicks Vapor Rub on the bottom of your feet and put on cotton socks before you go to bed tonight. It isn't instant relief, but you'll certainly feel better tomorrow! It works great for little ones with croup too!

For instant relief... some hot soup, a good book and hubby entertaining the kids for a couple of hours.
    Feel better!
    Annette4

Answer by Annette4 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I was going to say neti pot too.
    tinaott

Answer by tinaott at 7:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Drink lots of peppermint tea; peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2009