i need some parenting advice please....

my son is 2 1/2 and loves to color. normally he is pretty good about coloring on paper only but today he decided that it is more fun to color on our light colored carpet. i told him no and gave him more paper and told him to color only on the paper. he continued to color on the carpet so i took his crayons away and told him that he couldn't color anymore today because he didnt color on the paper. so he is now on 24 hour color restriction. did i approach this situation right? if not, can you please suggest more effective ways to handle things like this? thank you

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think you did good the next time he does it take them away and give him time out
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 4:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• All I would say is, next time, before handing him any crayons, reiterate that they are for coloring on paper, not anything else, and let him know that if he starts coloring on other things, the crayons will be taken away again for the rest of the day.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• ok good. lol :) thanks
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• for those just in case times...lay him on a towel or extra sheet...or make him only color sitting at the table...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

•  I think ya do great. Maybe he's going for texture. At the dollar store they have small doorway carpets for about 5 dollars. How about buying him one of those and tell him that's his special coloring matt. It's just a suggestion.  Or get some wax paper and let him collect some leaves, a quarter, anything he can rub his crayons on. Again, just a suggestion.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 5:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I got to a point where I either only let them color at the table or outside or I spent the money on the colorwonder stuff however my six year old colored on the side of my house the other day with chalk and it sat in the sun and when dh tried to wash it off it would not come off so it is important for the sake of your house and money to get it under control now. at our old house we painted one wall of the playroom with chalkboard paint and that realy helped too it was kinda a compermise for both of us
    knepppi

Answer by knepppi at 7:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2009