Are there any mothers on here who are married but don't work....

and stay at home with there kids and the father works. the mother quit work about a month before the baby was due because her medical condition was not going well, and they already have one child. Andnow since the mother isn't working her kids receive assistance such as medicaid for the kids and wic for formula and what ever else it helps with. Is that a good or a bad thing? What if the mother is tyring to find a job since the new baby is born but hasn't got one yet. How long should she be allowed to stay on the programs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• im a little confused
    i stay home but we can afford for me too
    Anonymous

• I am currently a SAHM, but we're not on any kind of assistance. hubby makes more than enough to support our family and then some!
    Anonymous

• i'm a sahm and thought, hmm i'll try for assistance, but we got denied b/c my dh apparently makes too much
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I think the WIC program is severely flawed. But, I think this is a situation where it's very beneficial and helpful. It's important for a child to have a parent at home with them and if WIC or other programs can help that happen then I don't see anything wrong with that.

I also wanted to add that I stay at home and my husband and I just barely get by but for me, it was more important for me to stay home and raise our children. It's not as important for us to have a brand new car. We qualify for certain assistance programs, including WIC but as of now we don't need it so we don't take it.
    Anonymous

• If you need assistance you should not be a SAHM. I work because I HAVE to, not because I want to. I'd love to stay home with the kids, but we can't afford it.
    Anonymous

• I'm a SAHM because my hubby is active duty Air Force and I think its important for me to be home for my kids to provide stability they need when we move or when dad is away, and we do just fine. We were on wic for 1 year when my daughter was 4. When she turned 5, WIC ended for us. We are doing just fine now though because hubby made rank, which the raise that goes with that gave us more than enough to cover what we were losing in being off WIC. I think if a mom thinks it is important to her to be home, or maybe that she would be spending more for daycare than she would be making, then its fine for her to stay home and have some sort of assistance. If she is wanting to go back to work and is looking for a job, then even more reason for her to not feel bad about being on assistance.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Im a stay at home mom...my money from school afforded me to be able to do such a thing...but my money for the summer got messed up, we cant afford day care until i go back to work..been trying for a month...so we live on VERY little...and recieve assistance...im trying to go back to work...but my son gets medicaid and we get FS...for some people..they cant afford the daycare costs...for me i didnt make enough at my past job to go back to work..i wouldve paid the ENTIRE amount to daycare and gas....so we scrimped saved, and i got to stay home..its all in planning....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i agree with AprilDJC:

I think if a mom thinks it is important to her to be home, or maybe that she would be spending more for daycare than she would be making, then its fine for her to stay home and have some sort of assistance. If she is wanting to go back to work and is looking for a job, then even more reason for her to not feel bad about being on assistance.

ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

•  What is this obsession with CafeMom and food stamps and medicaid? Mind your own fucking business, what do YOU care? The taxes coming out of your pocket is maybe 25cents if that so don't get on your high horse about YOU paying for THEIR food with YOUR TAX MONEY. What happened to the time when YOU needed a hand and it was freely given to you. Whats with all the Bitching. Should your neighbors go hungry. Instead of complaining, why don't you make a nice dinner and bring it over to them. It would be so appreciated, and who knows...You might be next!

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Why do you care? I stay at home with my kids and they receive Medicaid. Are you in that situation or are you judging the mother? I will just say that if i were to work and put my children in Daycare i would pay $200 a week for them. That would be $800 a month. That is how much our rent costs. Its definitely not worth it.
    Anonymous