how long after you stop breastfeeding do you get your period?

I stopped breastfeeding almost 2 months ago and still havent gotten my period. Is this normal? Should I be worried? I have crappy insurance and dont want to go to the dr. if it's not a huge deal.

BertsMomma

Asked by BertsMomma at 4:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh its FINE. breastfeeding does delay your periods, its completely normal for some nursing mothers to not get a period after breastfeeding for 6 months even! i've even heard of up to a year. i breastfed my daughter exclusively for a month and a half, and a month after she was born i got my period, so i guess it just all depends on your body. but no, i wouldn't worry at all.
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 4:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My period came back while I was still breastfeeding....both times. I think its different for everyone, but a quick call to the Dr. would really put your mind at ease....they will usually answer that sort of thing over the phone, you won't need an appt.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my period took about 4 months to come back after i stopped nursing. (i nursed for 7 months)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It's different for everyone....but take a test. You may be pregnant already.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante. I got my period back while still breastfeeding, my son was 12 months old, i got pregnant the next month.
    lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 5:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I am EBF and gave birth three months ago and just got my period back. :( Every woman is different. I would definitely take a test just to be on the safe side.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009