How late does AF have to be for it to be RIDICULOUS not to get a positive??

My best friend is on Cycle day 37... she has no clue when she ovulated. She is going to wait until Wednesday (CD 40!) to test again, because she got a negative today. That's over a week late, has anyone else had to wait that long for a positive?? Is that normal?
Is she likely pregnant? I told her she should go get a blood test, but her husband is in between jobs and therefore they are in between insurance. (Sooooo how much out of pocket is a blood test???)

MamaCatCat

Asked by MamaCatCat at 4:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Some women don't get a pos test until later. It all depends on the hCg hormone. If she wants to get a blood test done, tell her to go to Planned Parenthood. Their pricing in on a sliding scale. Lots cheaper than going to a Dr where they jack up the price. GL to her.
    Anonymous

• If you go to a place like Planned Parenthood they use a pay scale based on your income. But there can be other reasons why her period is late, you said her husband is between jobs, and that's stressful on anyone....it can just be the stress that's causing her to be late!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I doubt it's stress...the job switch was planned and they totally just got back from a cruise that her parents treated them to for her graduating college, lol.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 4:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• IDK, I was 12 days late before I finally got a positive, lol
    Anonymous

• I'm just saying thats one of many possible reasons....she may NOT be pregnant! I would every couple of years or so have one late period, when I normally am a clockwork 28 day cyle gal....but every other year I'd be like 2 or 3 weeks late them BAM AF would show up 5 minutes after getting a negative on a test!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• About a month is when it's ridiculous.

How long are her cycles usuallly? 28 days doesn't apply to every woman. Mine is 35-45, and the variation is normal for me.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my cycles are usually 30 days, and I tested on day 31, then on day 36 and then on day 40 and still have gotten a negative and still no period. sometimes there are other factors that can cause a late period and some people have very long menstrual cycles, or are irregular for some reason or another.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2009