my son is three he is very self concious and hates to have no diaper on. he screams when you put him anywhere near the potty. What should I do to get him on the potty? He wont even touch himself.

Asked by mollyjoe at 9:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you discussed this with his pediatrician? It is very unusual for a child that age to be so self-conscious. Not to alarm you, but is there any chance that he has been abused?

Answer by DivaMomCC at 9:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• with every child it is different. i have trained 3 boys while i was a professional nanny. with your child i would recommend making it "special" and "private". give him the ok to lock the door and pick out a really special, maybe new, book to take in with him. no expectations at first. he can sit on the potty FULLY CLOTHED for the first week or so. then he can sit on it once a day with not pants on. then the next week no underoos, etc. he has been in a diaper for 3 years, so it is a comfort to him. another tactic is to go to the dollar store, pick out 10 toys and put them somewhere you son can see. tell him everytime he uses the potty he gets one. or put cheerios in the toilet and have him aim, maybe if it is a game, he won't be so worried.

Answer by trepsica at 10:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Oh boy have I gone through that with my first son and yet to see with my second son. My first son was terrified to go #2 in the potty! well I haven't gone to your page to see, so I will there a father figure in the picture? that could be a variable too. I didn't with my first son so it was a bit harder to teach him but he caught on well. as for going #2 he just wouldn't do it unless he couldn't hold it in any longer (doctor knew) then he had no choice. I kept the diapers away and made him make that choice for himself. you can be stinky in your choines or be a big boy and go in the potty. talk with him and show him that there is nothing to be afraid of BUT everyone gets scared sometimes and thats okay, don't let him feel that its something to be ashamed about. my son was almost 4 before he was comfortable with the potty. I agree with the one above me...every child is different. however the cheerios didn't work for me but I did reward him every time he went to the potty.

Answer by TwistedFate at 9:12 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• He might not be ready, but for my son I just put him on the potty anytime he was changing clothes, before getting in the bathtub, and so on. He thought trying to have gas was funny so I said he should try to make gas sitting on the potty (even if he only had to pee). The pressure of trying to make gas had him peeing and also it worked for the poo poo part. then, even if nothing happened, I always gave him a treat he would love (an m & m, jelly bean, jr. mint) and say a silly potty song I made up and if he ever peed I did a potty dance I made up. Crazy, but he was potty trained at 2 1/2.

Answer by bookrdr at 11:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• The best thing is for him to see daddy going potty! Then they see that it's natural and that there's nothing to be afraid of. We used cheerios and had the boys aim at them. They thought it was a great game and learned very well.Also, since it's summer it's a great time to train. Put him in undies and if he wets them he needs to change them. Tell him that if he'll go in the potty he won't have to do that and it won't be uncomfortable. Sometimes discomfort is the best motivator and in the summer there won't be so many clothes to change. Also, there's a book called "Potty training in a day". I've had several friends that say this works fantastically! God bless!

Answer by jackimci at 12:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2008