Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using my GI Bill

I'm finally getting off my butt, and I'm done making excuses. I want to get going to school and get my degree using my GI Bill that I earned while I was in the military. The problem is that I have no idea how to get my GI Bill started. When I went to fill out the GI Bill paperwork, it asked which school I was enrolled in. But in order to enroll, I need to pay money that I don't have that I would have thought would come out of my GI Bill.

So, how does this work? How do I get this all going? I plan on doing online college that will accept my SOCNAV credits.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • Find a school you want to go to and speak with the VA rep. They will walk you through all the steps. University of Phoenix online does a 30 day float for vets so that they wont have to pay until the GI bill kicks in which is usually after 30 days anyways. I'm sure there are other schools that do the same. Go to or whatever it is and apply for financial aid in the meantime. You might have to take out loans to get started but you can use the GI Bill to pay those loans off and get a lump sum instead of waiting all those months to get your full GI Bill. Of course, you'd have to be a responsible person to actually send the GI money towards the student loans, unlike myself, lol.

    Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 4:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • Community colleges are a great place to start. Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/share holders; education is not their priority.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • The problem with a CC is that I physically need to be there, and right now, with where I live and the fact that I can't get a baby sitter, I can't really do it anywhere but online. I live around an hour from the nearest CC, and I'd only be able to take night classes if I did go, and I can't handle doing only night classes. I need to be able to sleep.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • u do not need to be there cc offers online classes, and u can enroll with out paying for it u enroll and then pay when the money is due with ur GI bill call the local cc and and talk to the finacial office they will be able to tell u how to do it..

    Answer by miss_nevin at 9:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • My fiance used his for AIU online to get a degree in business management. He said he was enrolled before he used his GI BILL. I think he just needed a registration fee to get started. I'd look into it. Sorry we couldn't help more.

    Answer by tcarter1981 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • You have to contact the school first!! Ask to speak with the Veterans Affairs Representative. Their only purpose at the school is to assist veterans with going to school. They will file the GI Bill paperwork for you and help you get set up with classes. I go to Univ Of Phoenix online also and so far, I love it. I haven't got my GI Bill money yet, but I just started monday. I called UOP and the next day I was registered for classes and just had to fill out and fax my paperwork and they did the rest! It was that easy. I'm not trying to get you to go to my school, Im just telling you how easy it was. There's a group on here called moms in school and they've been so helpful to me.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.