Barf city...advice, please??

Hi -

My 4-year old has barfed 6 times in the last 3 hours. The first two times were "productive" but since then he's mostly been dry heaving.

I did call his doctor and the nurse said to keep him hydrated, of course. I asked how long this could go on (wanting a "call back in X days if he's still barfing") but she said just keep him hydrated was the main thing, that there was no time that set off warning bells for vomiting.

He is thirsty so I am giving him small sips of water, but he keeps barfing it back up within 10-15 minutes.

So I guess I just wait to see if he gets symptoms of dehydration to call / go to the doctor? He has no other symptoms - no cough, no fever, no runny nose. Just the barfing.

I guess I just want to hear what other moms have to say...I can't get ahold of anyone on the phone and I just need assurance that this will pass! :-(

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It will pass. My oldest is scary when she starts puking. She pukes continually for 12 hours. Weird. None of my other children do that but Abi does. Really freaked me out the first couple of times but now, when she starts puking, I just know its going to be 12 hours of constant wretching. And just to give you another word of thought, my doctor always told me to just use some common sense about pushing fluids. He said that constantly pushing fluids CAN make the vomiting worse. Its like the fluids keep the stomach in kind of a cramp which just keeps perpetuating the vomiting and that sometimes you just need to hold off on anything oral to give the stomach a rest. So when Abi starts puking, I offer drinks but if she doesn't want anything, I don't push it. It works for her. Good luck.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 5:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Do not give him ANYTHING until he has gone for 2 hours with no puking.

Once he has done that (it's to rest his stomach) let him have about 2oz of water and wait for 10 minutes. If he pukes, start over. If it stays down, let him have a couple more. Wait for 10 more minutes.

If that stayed down, let him have about 4oz and wait for 20 minutes. If that stayed down, let him have another 4oz. If he has not puked in that hour, let him continue to sip on water. If at any time he pukes, start over.

Once he has gone about 6 hours with no puking, let him try a piece of bread or some crackers. If he pukes, start over, if not....slowly introduce BLAND foods again.

The key is to let the stomach rest. ONLY give water....nothing else right now.

Dehydration: make sure his eyes are moist, mouth is moist, tears when he cries, etc. If not, take him in.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Sorry to hear you are going through this. I know its awful. The good news is that it usually doesn't last for more then 24 hours. I agree with the small sips of water like the previous posts. They will be thirsty and want to just gulp it down but it does just come back up. When he is holding water down then you can start slow with the BRAT diet bananas, rice, apples and toast but go slow. We usually start out with some toast. It feels like torture to hold back food but these are bland and their stomach with manage it better. Hope it helps. Good luck.
    KitKat3

Answer by KitKat3 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I hated my daughters first real puking episode she was about 3 and a half. I found that she like those Pedialyte popsicle things, and she seemed to tolerate those better that straight water. It will pass soon, I promise. Good luck.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• So sorry! Looks like you are getting some good advice. Please let us know how she is!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• A friend of mine's child was just sick w/ something similar, and it lasted somewhere around 48 hours. She got a fever off and on for longer than that, but the vomiting lasted about 2 days.

My own DS got really sick at the beginning of the school year and was throwing up for a week. He had lost 4 lbs. (on his barely 40 lb. frame) and couldn't keep anything down. We would give him popsicles, but even that would come back up. We ended up having to just let him take a tablespoon of liquid every 10-15 minutes. He was so dehydrated his lips were cracking and he looked so malnurished. The Dr.'s just told us to keep them informed of what was going on but didn't express any particular concern. I found it really frustrating. He got through it in a weeks time, but it felt like a lifetime.

Good luck and I hope your little one is feeling better very soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I just want you to know, you jinxed me!! Abigail started puking this morning!!!!
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 8:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2009