Can I keep a stray cat?

My husband is allergic so I can't actually keep her. But when he goes to work I sneak her in here for a little bit to be out of the heat. I put water outside every night so I know she isn't thirsty. I want her so badly to be mine! What can I feed her?

victoria.mommy

Asked by victoria.mommy at 4:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Pets

• u can feed her table scrapes for the most part or buy her kitty food dont give her milk form the frig though cats are lactose intelerant. if u hubby is severly allergic he might be able to tell u have had a cat in the house...if u want to keep her as a out side cat u can put a box out with a soft towel or balnket this will make her happy and giveing her attention will also make her day to...i would alos spend the money to get her fixed and a rabies shot to...u dont need all the other shots since she a outside cat the chance r she has already been exsposed to normal cat diseases that shots are suppose to prevent
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Cat food. Tuna is a good choice as well, if you can't buy special food for the cat.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Good table scraps for cats
    Your feline may be a bit more discriminating in the produce department, but some cats love:

Fresh melon
    Corn
    Cooked broccoli
    Why not see if your kitty is among this group?

Bad human food for cats
    Be careful when it comes to fatty meats and spicy foods. These can result in an upset stomach, so it's best to avoid them. Never offer your cat bones, as they can cause digestive problems and damage the teeth and mouth. Absolute no-nos include:

Onions
    Coffee
    Tea
    Chocolate
    Grapes or raisins

MORE ABOUT FOODS TO AVOID BELOW:
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Cat foods to avoid
    The following lists some of the substances for which there is credible evidence of toxicity at dosages your pet could conceivably consume:

Alcoholic beverages: Alcohol can cause gastrointestinal irritation, drunkenness, tremors, difficult breathing and/or panting, coma and even death
    Avocados: Avocados can result in respiratory distress and the accumulation of fluid around the heart
    Chives: If fed in excess, these can lead to GI upset and perhaps damage red blood cells
    Chocolate: Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity and increased thirst, urination and heart rate
    Coffee: Coffee (including the grounds and beans) can cause the same symptoms as chocolate
    Grapes and raisins: Depending on the amount ingested, clinical signs can range from vomiting to life-threatening kidney failure
    Spices: If fed in excess, these can lead to GI upset and perhaps damage red blood cells
    AprilDJC

• Spoiled food: Spoiled food may contain food-borne pathogens, molds, and mycotoxins that can result in GI irritation, tremors, seizures, and death. All food, regardless of shelf-life claims, loses value and may grow toxins over time
    Onions: If fed in excess, these can lead to GI upset and perhaps damage red blood cells
    Salt and salty foods: Excess salt and purified salt can result in sodium ion poisoning with symptoms of regurgitation, tremors, excessive thirst, diarrhea, high temperature and seizures. On the other hand, moderate amounts of natural salt can be healthy.
    Tomato: Fruit is not a problem in moderation, but the leaves, stem and unripe fruit are. Ingestion of these can cause GI upset, excess salivation, drowsiness, dilated pupils, and weakness. The same symptoms can be seen with the ingestion of any green plant parts of the potato and many household plants;
    Xylitol sweetener: can cause drop in blood pressure
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Make sure there is shelter and warmth in the winter for her (a box with blankets in the garage or other wise blocked from the wind...

Other than that; but some cat food and have yourself an outside cat...when you want to visit with her; go outside and visit with her...if it were just your DH didn't like cats; I'd say bug him til he caved; but allergies are miserable and not being able to breathe well; is about the worst allergies can throw at you; so even though you think "well he's not home he'll never know" - wait til a big ball of cat dander or fur hits him and he feels like total crap...

I wouldn't do it...just me...and I'm a big take them in/save the pets person; lol -- but I wouldn't want to make someone live in misery like that either...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2009