I AM GOING TO FLIP THE F*** OUT!!! Why is he doing this?!!

My 16 month old son has always been close to me, but never had seperation anxiety. Hes just getting over a brief, mild cold and he has been more clingy than ever. He screams and throws the WORST fit ever, he just screams mamama until I return from what it is I had to do- I cant pee, I cant DO ANYTHING! I have to wait for him so he can follow me to clean or do any routine things I have to do everyday. I work full time, when I leave in the mornings he smiles and waves bye bye, once Im home he cant let me leave the room.
My SO is getting a little butthurt about this, or that I made him too clingy, like I LIKE hearing his torturous sounding screams. I need a way to kinda ease him apart and know that I will always come back or idk- whatever it takes to stop these tantrums. Could it just be a phase? If so how can I help him pass it up? He's slept in my bed for almost a week now.
and he throws the biggest fit OVE NOTHING!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That happens when kids get sick. Men are like that, too, when they're not feeling well.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• LOL. Welcome to my world. My DS is 2 and he's been just awful. If I had $1 for every time he said "mommy!" I'd be a very wealthy person. I think they will grow out of it. They better! Seems everytime I get to my wits end about the latest problem with the kids is right when it starts to get better.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Aw...im sorry im sure its frustrating, but look at it in his point of view...your MOMMY, you make his world go around..his health and well being dpends on you!! so, you leaving means he may not be okay anymore!....he will grow out of it eventually...does he have other kids to play around?!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• First of all... you need to CALM THE F*** DOWN. Second of all, its a child- a 16 month old toddler. Who you said yourself is getting over being sick. So children want their comfort parent- who tends to be the mother. Plus children go through separation anxiety at this age as well. Right now I have the worst headache, and my son woke up cranky from his nap and is doing nothing but whining. But I realize that this is what kids do. Am I mad? No. Do you need to realize that your dealing with a 16 month old and not a 16 year old? Yes. Yes you do.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• No he doesnt have other kids to play with- my grandma babysite while I work. I cant afford babysitting, his daddy can enroll him in low income daycare, but he's too much of a loser to get that going. UGH! So im trying to fit that in.
    Its not that I dont love him- or love to be with him, but I cannot just sit there or hold him all day then sleep with him all night.
    I know he's more clingy when hes sick, but he was like that before and after- and he wasnt even that sick, like he had a slight cough and barely runny nose for less than 2 days
    Anonymous

• DD is doing the same right now. She is going to be 17 months this week. I figure for her it's a combination of separation anxiety, and teething. I'm a SAHM and it's a 24/7 thing. Just suck it up and enjoy that baby wanting to be around you for now, soon enough they are going to be independent, and not want you to be around for everything.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 5:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Does he have an ear infection? Otherwise do your best to encourage him to come to you, making him proactive in his need. If it is just a tempertantrum, ignore him. The more attention you give one the more he will do them. I am sorry, good luck
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my dd did the same thing. My hubby is deployed and she got really bad seperation anxiety when he left. I had to work room by room. I would leave my dd in the living room saying "i'll be right back! Just a minute" and would go out of her sight for a few seconds and pop around the corner saying "HERE I AM!" Also, talking to your child while you are in a different room helped. Now when I say "i'll be right back" she waves and blows me kisses but I can't be out of that room for more than 30 minutes. But try doing stuff like that and you will see a difference! It drove me CRAZY but I also figured, at least I know she loves me LOL She's 19 months old now...
    GOOD LUCK
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• This does happen when kids get sick. To make it worst, separation anxiety peaks at around 18 months - so it will get worse before it gets better and it gets better slowly, over a couple of years.

Tell your SO to not take it personally. All kids go through phases where they prefer one parent over the other. His turn is coming and YOU will be the odd man out. They don't mean to be insulting to the other parent, it's just a normal part of development.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2009