I have an 18 month old boy now i want to start potty training how can I start? his father works all the time what can i do to do it instead?

CHunkysMoM

Asked by CHunkysMoM at 5:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, I don't think the fact that dad works has any bearing on the question, your making this more difficult than it has to be. The biggest hurdle is getting them to know its time to use the bathroom and that big kids use the potty. The mechanics of it can come later! When all dad has to do is show him once.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Does he have a dry diaper in the morning, and for at least an hour during the day? Does he take his pants off? 18 months is young for any kid, exspecially boys, they have some extra muscles to learn to control.
    If he is ready then get a potty seat. Some potty books, Sesame street has a good video on the topic. See if he is willing to sit on the potty and read a book. Then if he goes in the potty, tons of praise. make a huge deal out of it or/and a small reward. Keep trying and be very pacient. He has to be the one to do it. I would wait to teach him to stand, until he has a really good idea of what he is doing. Plus it seems that he has seen you sit more then Dad stand anyway.
    Good luck
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Give training a try, he may not be ready. 18 months is still early, dont push or put pressure on him. Training should be fun, if it doesnt work at first no big deal. Just wait a while longer. Is he showing signs that he is ready to start. Boys are a little harder than girls, Good luck
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my baby is the same age as yours i would love to potty train him soon but he isnt tall enough or would understand aiming im gonna wait till he understands the concept better then try. but i was told to help with aiming to put a cheerio in the toilet and tell him to hit it
    Sweet_tart24

Answer by Sweet_tart24 at 1:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2009