how long to eat?

My son is 3 months old and eating 5 oz of formula every 2.5-3 hours. Sometimes he can chug in like 5 minutes, and other times it seriously takes him 45 minutes to finish a bottle. I didnt know if this is normal or not, of if it maybe means I need to go up to the next nipple size??? Thanks

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 5:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how many oz total in a day..that sounds like a WHOLE lot of formula..like maybe you should increase the amount of oz. per bottle now...duno....taking longer could just be because hes distracted...if my son has alot around him during bottle time he looks at everything and loses focus..otherwise 5 minutes tops on an 8 oz bottle!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My DS still takes 45 min to eat a bottle! When he was really little he would take 45 min to eat 2 oz. You just have to deal with it, and make sure you are feeding him when he is not hungry. Some babies like to snack too! Lol, so I am unhelpful.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 5:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I have a book put out by the American Academy of Pediatrics and it says that the feedings should go from 4 or 5 ounces in the second month to 5 to 6 ounces by four months, so it sounds like your baby is right on schedule. It says by four months a baby should be eating about 30 ounces total. As far as the time, I think that's normal. Is it mainly at a certain time of the day?
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My sons weighed 9 pds when he was born.. His doctor told us at his month check up to change his nipples to fast flow. We also increased the amount of formula. He is almost 3 months old an taking 7-9 ozs every 3-4hrs...
    newmom2be202

Answer by newmom2be202 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• When it becomes more consistent with him taking longer, it's time to switch. Forty five minutes is too long.

My guys were taking 8oz every 2-3 hours at that age and it probably took them 15-20 minutes including burping (they were hard to burp! lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2009