How can I get my husband to stop biting his fingernails?

This is something that completely turns me off. His fingernails look so horrible. He eats sunflower seeds and sucks on hard candy to try and stop. Anyone have any better ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2008 in Relationships

• as a fellow nail biter, there really is no way to stop unless you have the determination lol. they make this nail biting stuff almost like nail poilsh cut clear and it is supposed to take real nasty and it does but if you take a drink it goes away. i have even tried acryllic (sp?) nails and i bite those off too. if you find a solution that works please let me know lol
    krazymami028

Answer by krazymami028 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• Spray "Bitter Yuck!" spray for dogs onto his nails. I would only use that brand. It is made of Rosemary oil, and is harmless. It doesn't sound bad, but it tastes terrible (and the taste won't go away for a while)! Any time the bitting starts, give him a spray. He'll stop in no time!
    jasmith31280

Answer by jasmith31280 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• Tell him no sex until he quits!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• You can't make him stop. He's a big boy and it's up to him. If he knows that you don't like it and either chooses not to do anything about it or can't, there's not much you can do. Maybe he should try hypnosis. It's a nervous habit and very hard to break.
    tazzeetwins

Answer by tazzeetwins at 5:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• I have low- blood sugar and I started biting my nails at a young age,because I was hungry all the time.When I eat my nails it has protein in it that satisfy's my hunger.You could ask him why he does it.Maybe he's got my problem,or he's a nervous type.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 5:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• no affence. shut up.
    he is ur husband. you married him for love right? for who he is?
    If he wants to stop he will.
    Leave him alone and dont nag about it. Its his own nails and you just have to deal with these kinds of things.
    BayB

Answer by BayB at 8:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• You really can't make him stop. You can voice your opinion and let him know you'd prefer it if he didn't. But sometimes we just have to accept our husband's bad habits. My husband is a nail biter too and I've tried every trick in the book.

BabyB: "no affence. shut up. " First of all, it's "offense" not affence. And secondly, there isn't any reason to be rude. What you said is offensive and non helpful.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 9:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2008

• Nail biting could happen for many reason. My husband is 32 and still bites his nails. He has always done it since I have known him and now one of our girls do it ... learned habit from him. I think he bites his nails due to stress. We have talked about his habit, he quit once. He is now trying to quit again. I gently remind him that he is biting his nails but he knows I do it becasue I dont want our girls to see him do it and they all end up doing.
    TLC4theworld

Answer by TLC4theworld at 1:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2008

• i am one to and i try so hard to stop but i cant, anyone have any solutions please write because i need to stop also!
    xbabygirlx_2000

Answer by xbabygirlx_2000 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2008