did you go through a mourning period when you stopped breastfeeding?

many mothers i have spoken to have felt they actually went through a process of mourning when their babys weaned. has anyone else experienced this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I did. Breast feeding was like a continuation of pregnancy- my baby was part of me and as close as anyone could ever truly be. When I stopped breast feeding I felt that beginning of the distancing that is a natural part of being a human being and leaving the womb to learn and develop to become a human being. I knew it was natural, and that growing apart from the mother was a good thing, but gosh the sadness of the departure from the closeness.

Answer by Bmat at 5:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yes, I did!! I cried, and now I wish I had nursed longer than what I did. I miss that closeness and special time. Breastfeeding was the ONLY thing that I could do for my babies that NOONE else could do.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I celebrated! My god it hurt soooooo bad! I could finally hold and cuddle my baby again once I stopped.
    Anonymous

• thats very sad that breastfeeding hurt so much, Anon5:35 if baby is latched on correctly, is shouldn't hurt at all. its a shame you didnt have anyone to help you and baby learn the correct techniques.
    Anonymous

• The lactation lady at the hospital said she was latched correctly. But I do plan on trying again when I have my next one. The proper resources are not always available at the right times. The lady at the hospital should have given me more info, but oh well. I have more info now and my daughter did get some breastmilk as opposed to none at all.
    Anonymous

• It was the happiest day of my life! (slight exaggeration)
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 6:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I also celebrated! I hated it, it hurt so damn bad! And..the baby was latched correctly, the pain was from inside the breast and I had no clogged ducts, I had nothing wrong, it just hurt like HELL.

I was so damn glad.

I never even gave it a second though with the next one...no breastfeeding going on here. Not worth not bonding with the baby.
    Anonymous

• I mourned. It was my fault though. I had a moment of insanity when she was a week old and made a bottle. the next day i was so engorged. She couldn't latch on.. i didn't have money for a pump to relieve some of it.. i tried expressing it myself. I hated myself afterwards. I cried a lot. I cried making a bottle.. i cried just think about how i personally failed. I tried relactating but it didn't work. I have decided that when i have my next baby whenever that may be.. there will be NO BOTTLE in my house.. i don't want the temptation
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 9:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2009