Do you still have a life???

I am at a crossroads in my life... I currently am not working - off for the summer - I have discovered I want to do more with my life after having my daughter I kind of stayed in my comfort zone and not really doing anything progressive with my life.

I would like to go to nursing school. I have looked into all of it it really makes me nervous totally out of my comfort zone, but i know thats what i want to do.

Financially I can not just go to school. :( all of the schools I have looked at only offer day on campus classes. So i'm not to sure what to do for work.

Has anyone been in similar situation or have some encouraging words????

kris64063

Asked by kris64063 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can always get financial aid to go back to school. Google fafsa. It's the form to fill out if you want to see if you can get government aid. You can get grants (that don't have to be paid back)...or you can get loans (that do have to be paid back.) I would recommend it! I am currently working towards my doula certification. =D
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yea I am covered with my schooling with the pell grant, its just all my other financial responsibilities i'm worried about if i'm not working! Congrats on getting your certification thats awesome!
    kris64063

Answer by kris64063 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Start by speaking with an admissions counselor at a community college. they are experience dealing with moms in your position. CC classes are not very expensive, may be online, and the credits will transfer to a university when you are ready to start taking classes in your planned field of study.
    www.fastweb.com is a great place to start looking for scholarships.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Financially... I hope this can help you or steer you a certain way. May I suggest an at home biz? I started one a few months back and I just love it. I have 2 little ones running around that I get to be home with! It is with a comp that just recently earned an award with the BBB so it is no scam! If interested, you can email me at rebeccabowen@live.com or visit my website at www.beingunited.com. I would love to talk to you and get you some more info!
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• You might be able to take some of the early classes online. You can usually use on-campus daycare - which probably doesn't sound appealing, but at a certain age, your daughter is going to love being around those other kids. Nurses are in huge demand and it's a great career. You might even find some grants and scholarships for parents returning to school. Good luck.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I looked into nursing school and it takes alot of dedication, but it's a job that is always in demand and pays well. You will also have to do some type of internship along with school if you haven't worked in that feild. Maybe by getting a caregiver or CNA job it'll give you a good idea if that's what you want to do and give you more time experience towards being certified. My mother worked and went to school my whole childhood. It was hard at times, but looking back, now she makes over 100k a year and has been able to help us out financially. There are alot of schools who are very helpful for adults and women with children, so don't be shy about asking what they have to offer. I can tell you that even though it's scary sometimes sending your little one to daycare, most kids love to socialize and learn there and I think when she's not with me, I miss my daughter more than she misses me. She still talks about her "school
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I am so excited for you! You have a dream for your future...how wonderful is that! So many people don't. Where there is a will there is a way.

GO FOR IT keep asking and you will one day come here to share you are graduating.

www.hasanyonetoldyou.com
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2009