When should I start shopping for maternity clothes

I am 5'4 and weighed 102 before i got pregnant! My mom wants me to buy maternity clothes, mostly pants and none of the stuff I tried on fit, and she keeps tellign me I will grow into it, but it all just looks so funny because I have skinny chicken legs. What can I wear or should I just wait until I start showing more?

RebMavMom

Asked by RebMavMom at 5:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Shopping

• I think you should start when you cant fit into your clothes that you normally wear...Im 18 weeks and already buying some but my sister is due in like 3 weeks and she hasnt worn them at all!!
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 5:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• You may as well buy whenever you find something on sale. I wore loose fitting tops and pants with elastic waists for a long time, especially with my first baby, and then these things were also very wearable after the birth.

Answer by Bmat at 5:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• When you can't fit in your regular cloths. that's when you buy maternity cloths

Answer by louise2 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Go buy one pair of maternity pants (not the panel kind, just the stretchy waist kind for that morning when you wake up and all your pants feel really uncomfortable in the waist. After that, you can worry about buying more.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Start checking out second hand shops and garage sales now, along with craigslist and freecycle.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree with the others, don't buy clothes until you need them.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i would start shoppin when i cant fit in my clothes
    shawn_cj

Answer by shawn_cj at 6:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• What you may purchase now may not be practical in a few months. I agree with the others and wait until you really need them. Your sizes will change as well.
    Annabella2008

Answer by Annabella2008 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ok here is my opinion, you should start buying maternity clothes when you can't fit into your regular clothes anymore BUT if your mom wants to buy you clothes, let her! You never know, you might "grow into them". My MIL bought majority of my maternity clothes because she would just pick them up when she was out shopping. Some I could not fit until later but I had them and I was thankful for that. I think I bought one pair of pants and a shirt for myself and, as I stated, I only bought those when I couldn't fit into my normal clothes anymore.
    Harris06

Answer by Harris06 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009