Can you put a booster seat in the front seat?

I KNOW, kids are safer in the back seat...ect. Is it leagal to put a child in a backless booster seat in the front if the air bags are off? It is legal to put them in a truck, so why not a car? I AM NOT SAYING I AM DOING THIS. Just wondering........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think the reason its ok in a truck is because unless its extended cab-there is no back. but im not 100% on the rules as far as things like that go
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• you can put them in the front seat if there are no other seats for them to sit in.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• oh yeah.... and if there is NO lap/shoulder belt combo, you can let a child that is too big for a car seat, but still in the booster seat range, sit in a lap belt only. Booster seats can't be used with just a lap belt.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Okay....I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Sayy if I had 4 kids, I could put one of them in the front seat? (I dont have 4 kids, and have never put my ds (6) in the front.) DH was asking me about the laws, and I dont know them.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it is legal. However, it would actually be safer to put a child in a harnessed seat (AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT REARFACING) in the front vs. a child in a booster. Also, make sure you have the seat pushed back as far as it will go.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Does the airbag have to be removed? Or just turned off?
    Anonymous

• Check your local laws. Here it's illegal for anyone under 12 to be in the front seat of a vehicle with a rear seat.
    Anonymous

• I do not have a rear facing seat. I have a booster seat.
    Anonymous

• In some states it is illegal for anyone under the age of 12 to be in the front seat of a vehicle, if that vehicle has a rear seat.

No one said anything about a rear facing seat.
    Anonymous

• I thought it was illegal until the age of 12 for a kid to be in the front seat? No?
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2009