• In the Spotlight:

What's a good entertaining toy for a 9 month old during a looong car ride?

is there any toy you lo just loves in the car that you can recommend? I need to go buy something to help the 5 hour car trip go by easier for her. Not to mention she is getting really tired of her current toys.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont know of any special toys, but we always travel at night. SOOO much easier with kids.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 6:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• For the most part the baby will probably sleep. Just make sure you stop every now and then so he can get out of the car and stretchand eat. As for a toy, I would say take him to the store and show im some toys that you would be willing to buy and see which one he is interested in. Then set it aside, dont let him play with it once your home, untill you go on your trip.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• When my son was 9 months we drove for 8 hours stopping only once and he slept for 6 hours. I don't think you need any special toys. Sleeping and eating will most likely be on thier agenda.
    Anonymous

• We took a 14 hour car trip when our son was 10 months old he lasted about 12 hours and then we finally had to call it a day and stop and get a hotel for the night. The best thing for him was one of those squishy steering wheels that light up. It makes them feel like they are driving too.
    Miranda0224

Answer by Miranda0224 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• THe sleep idea is great, we do that. Also close to nap time. Don't know about toys but I have heard 1 per hour so you can rotate them. We do a lot of 2 hour plus rides, we bought a video head rest thingy about $400 for the pair. A video that is interactive is great. There are cheaper ones that just strape to the back of the front seat as well. Plenty of snacks and sippies. Good luck.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We do a lot of trips and at that age my kids did part play, part talk to me and listen to music (we had kids type music such as kindergarten songs), and they also slept a lot too.  When they played I had a bin next to their seat they could easily get into that held a few board books and toys that they liked.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We took a 12 hour trip when my son was 8 months... what we did was bought 3 new toys and brought along about the same number of his fav's when he got fussy I would hand him a new toy.
    I also found these little 2 oz bottles and brought a cooler with expressed milk and some juice. He didn't usually have juice so it was a "special treat" and if he lost a bottle it wasn't as much as if he lost a whole bottle. We also stopped every 3 hours too to help break up the time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i took a 28 hour trip with my son when he was 3 months and he did great slpet almost all of it except when we stopped and ate and got chaged, we did the same trip again at 5 months and he didnt sleep quite as much but any toy he finds intrest in keep in had or close by so he can play wit, they pretty much will sleep the whole way the vibration of the auto will take care of that.
    Hunts11B

Answer by Hunts11B at 10:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009