I had a Fetal Fibronectin test today...

But my Dr. checked my cervix, and she said it was "long and closed" which she said was good...so im guessing im not dialited any?! Does this still mean no chance for preterm labor? Im hoping so! I am only 26 weeks along, and they should call me this afternoon with the results. Just hoping that maybe since im not dialted, the contractions are just normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• there is always a chance
    yes it means you are closed
    but you really should had talked to your dr about this stuff instead of waiting to get on cafemom
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Well i will get the results tonight, and will talk with her IF there are problems with the test...just wondering that if you had the test done, if it meant you are usually dialted at the same time they check for preterm labor.
    Anonymous

• The ffn is not a garanttee.
    Anonymous

• They will do the test even with no dialation. The test is not 100% but in theory if neg you should not go into labor in the next 2 weeks. Also you can go from long and closed today to labor tomorrow so be careful. Good Luck
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 6:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• An FFN is done anytime after 24 weeks that the expected mother is having contractions, regardless of how long her cervix is and wether or not its closed or dialated. A negative FFN means you will likely not go into preterm labor within the next 2 weeks. A positive doesn't mean you will either, its just an indicator for your OB to follow you a little more agressively. He/she will most likely repeat the FFN every 2 weeks until you are at a safe gestation. Good luck!!
    TWOMUCHFUN09

Answer by TWOMUCHFUN09 at 11:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009