I dont think racial slurs are approrate by any means , but

hwo do certain groups of people expect others to take racism seriously when they them selves use racist terms in their everyday language? IE black people calling each other the "N" word?
how is it racist for soemone else to call them that but they use it so loosely ? it doesnt make any sence to me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is sad because we can't all simply be Americans! We are Americans aren't we? The color of our skin is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I am not saying that in the cultural sense. Culture is important, but I am talking about the big picture.

I do have some issues with trying to stay politcally correct regarding color. It changes so much and different people feel differently about it.

Late 60's early 70's. My granddaddy farmed and had several Negroes working for him. He meant no disrpect and was well liked. Heck, some of the kids would come over and play for the day during the summers. They were just kids.

80's. We used the word "black" and didn't mean anything bad by it.

Today it is African American.

Why can't we just use a word if you need to "describe" a particular person and skintone becomes helpful!

Besides, after years of the "melting pot" there is a lot "mix" out there!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My friend once told me that it's his way of owning the word and taking it's power away. It would be racist for me to use the word against him because I'm white. I don't know, it makes sense to me. I would never want to use that word towards anyone anyways. But if he uses it, it's really not my business.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Why do you care? Do you want to call a black person that name? I mean if someone isn't calling you an insult and two people are standing there talking to each other using the N word, how does that affect you?
    Anonymous

• Wow... calm down there Sparky ANON.. she wast just asking a question. The answer is it all has to do with ignorance Hon. Ignorance by those that use that term and ignorance by those that think it's okay to use that term.
    Anonymous

• you call me a nigger i beat the hell out of you,

but if you will say to me hey wuz up nigga ..i will say hey wuz up sister.

there are 2 different words.. brothers use it in the street.

people get confuse.

Anonymous

• Racism is about far more than calling someone a derogatory name. It's about how you treat them, percieve them, and interact. Language does play a role, but it's only a small part, and the names and labels are an even smaller part than that. For instance, a person who assumes black people are criminals simply based on the color of their skin, but would never call them any demeaning names is still a racist. The bigger problem is the faulty perception, the way that perception leads one to think and act toward the person, and how public policy is shaped by the misperception.

But that's not to say that language, and words/labels, aren't powerful tools for persecution. Words such as the "N" word were used to oppress an entire population. I think it's disrespectul to those who have been persecuted to use it nonchalantly, but I understand those who want to take away the power from the word, too.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 6:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• please visit the group on cafemom discuss racial issues here.
    Anonymous

• i dont want to nor do i have to
    i have every right to post my question here
    i have said nothing rude or mean hearted
    Anonymous

• They've turned something that was used to degrade and belittle them into something that is socially acceptable in urban lifestyle.

They want to call each other that, fine..I don't give a shiz.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 7:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i have every right to post my question here

lol...if this is referring to me I didn't say you couldn't post it here...i'm simply saying visit that group because that question has been asked and answered millions of times.

Anonymous