Accounting

Anyone go to school for accounting? Did you get your Associates or bachelors? Was it hard? What is your career now? Do you make good money? I am trying to decide if I want to go back to school for this... I finished my degree for Dental assisting in May 08' but haven't had much luck finding anything- the need really isn't there like they made it seem!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• My husband has a bachelors degree in accounting and finance. My degree is in urban economics, but i have over 15 years of accounting experience.
    what is your definition of good money?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• OP - You should move here to northern VA. All I ever see are listings in the papers for Dental Assistants! They have buttloads of openings for them here.

Before you begin a new career and rack up more student loans, you may want to do some impromptu job searches for accounting work in your area. See if there is a demand for them, or the types of jobs they can do, in your area. If not, then you shouldn't waste your time.

Business degrees at a Bachelor's level or higher are usually more in demand in today's economy and are more universally used. There are numerous concentrations you can get a business degree in, if you wish. Take a look at several colleges and see what they have to offer.

Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Most business students start out as accounting majors then switch to finance or management and end up with lower paying jobs making a few cents over minimum wage. My friend's daughter has a two year dental assisting degree and right out of school went to work for an inner city clinic. She isn't crazy about the clientele but the money is very nice and she travels alot to keep her mind off it. Your school should help you find a placement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• That is quite a career switch. I would consider getting an entry level accounting job to see if you even like the field before you spend more money on training. I have a 4 year degree but I also went to night school while working as an accountant. The money is decent and I like the job but everyone is different.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009