Does your toddler laugh when you tell him/her, "no" when they hit.

My 16 mo old hits me in my face when I hold her close and we are having a quiet moment. She thinks it is so funny. I take her hand firmly and tell her , "No, hitting is not nice." At that point, she just cracks up. I repeat myself and then put her down. Does or did your child do this?

averys1mama

Asked by averys1mama at 6:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 15-mo.-old does the same. He hits me and when I say no, he laughs like it's the most hilarious thing in the world. Then he repeats hitting. By the third time of me saying no and he still thinks it's funny, I put him down and walk away for awhile. I come back when he's calmed down and I repeat again, "No hitting." I do hope that I get the message across.
    mioneh

Answer by mioneh at 6:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• He did until I started sticking him in time out for it. He knows I'm serious and that when I say no, I mean it.
    Anonymous

• He did at first until he figured out hitting = no more fun time. It means the movie is off/time alone in his room/stern talk from momma (he really does know I mean business!). Now he only hits when he gets upset, not because he thinks it's fun. He still gets the same response (stern voice and time out) but the hitting has been significantly curbed. Also, he usually does it when he isn't getting enough attention, so I've tried to nip it in the bud by focusing on him before he gets to that stage of frustration.
    l_to_the_e

Answer by l_to_the_e at 7:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2009