1 year old how to discipline????

Our 1 year old is getting into everything including pulling hair and throwing Temper Tantrums. We tell her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• igore them, thats what I do. he'll scream etc even hit... I don't let him hit me I move out of the way. then his screaming turns to crying out of dissapointment and that when Icomfort him... but if I say no, I mean no.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• She still doesn't quite understand "no." So redirect. And be unimpressed by temper tantrums...just walk away when she's throwing one.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I have been trying to ignore them, but here recently she has bit me twice. When she is told "NO", it seems like she only gets worse. I try to re-direct her and she still goes back to whatever it is she wasn't suppose to be in.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 7:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If she bites, walk away from here. Totally ignore her after telling you it's wrong to bite. (I've occaisionally had to leave the room entirely (leaving my son some place safe) to stop him from biting. THe less reaction they get to this sort of stuff, the less interesting it is. It will stop.
    Anonymous

• Shew.... I can only hope so, this is such a rough age.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 8:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Redirect, distraction, and redirect! If my son hits/pulls hair, I just firmly take him by the hands and look at him in the eyes when I say, "No! That hurts mommy." Then I try to distract him with another activity to take his mind off the hair-pulling, etc. As far as tantrums go... ignore it and walk away. You'll be surprised how short tantrums can be when there's no audience to perform to. If that doesn't work, I'll put him in the crib for a minute's time-out. Sometimes a break from people/stimulation is what he needs. Don't raise your voice, only raise your voice if he's doing something especially dangerous, that way the effect won't wear off as quickly. (Like today. my son tried to open the overn while I was baking dinner!) At least that's what works for me. I also find that signing "no" instead of verbalizing it works the best for my son when I'm trying to keep him away from some things in public. Strange.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 10:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Redirect, distract, ignore..use different ideas until one actually works. When saying "no" tell him/her why..."NO, thats Daddy's" No, not for (insert name). And every now and again a LIGHT slap on the hand, we use this when our baby slaps the TV. More often then not, the sound lets her know to move.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• i put my one year old in a corner for one minute... he screams the whole time but he' s fine when i let him come out.. now when he is doing something i don't want him to do i just say do you want time out? and usually it works to stop him.
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2009