caught the end of world new tonight ... please tell me i heard this wrong!!!???

I caught the last maybe 5-10 minutes,and they were saying something about tax dollars paying for special needs kids as well as autistic kids to go to a private school?! I hope I heard that wrong. If I am right,than why do they get such special treatments,where there parents don't need to work to send them to private schools? Why do parents of normal children need to work 2 sometimes 3 jobs to pay tuition to a private school, if they don't? Aren't all kids special enough to get handouts for private school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• BOTTOM LINE : THE PARENTS WHO TAKE THE HAND OUT ARE LAZY! HOMESCHOOL UR DAMN KID AND SAVE THE GOVT SOME MONEY! YOU CHOSE TO HAVE THE KIDS , NOT THE GOVT! DONT RELY ON OTHERS WHO MIGHT HAVE WISHED THE KIDS WERE NEVER HERE TO PAY FOR THEM FOREVER!
    Anonymous

• Private schools also have scholarship programs for your NORMAL kids.

Do you even have a clue how much else it costs for a special needs child to attend public school? The extra necessities depending on the need of the child? Did you even listen to know if the money was going to pay for the extra things the school would have to provide that your NORMAL child wouldn't normally have to have...or if the money was going towards tuition?

Do you have a freakin' clue that most parents of special needs kids work 2 sometimes 3 jobs just to SURVIVE and provide care for their kids?
    Anonymous

• "Aren't all kids special enough to get handouts for private school?" in some areas, yes, any child can get a voucher to go to private school. There are also private school scholarships that "typical" students can apply for....

For my child, the county did pay for 3 years at a private special needs school. In order for the school system to get all the equipment and specialists on staff at the regular school to handle special needs students, they would spend a LOT more money then they would just sending them to a school that is already equipped to handle them.

My DD has now graduated back to the public school system.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• all kids 2 me r special enough.but think about how much all the medication,doctor appoitments, and other things to manage that type of life cost.kids with special needs have therapy and a lot of test run a whole bunch of stuff.its to help relieve some type of stress off parents.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 7:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Oh is this an Obama thing? Maybe not but we'll all be flat broke when he leaves office...not that Bush was a good answer. You bring up a good point though. I suppose they need the help with special needs kids. I wonder how much?
    Anonymous

• I can only say that learning disabled kids sometimes do best in atmosphere taught in extremely innovative ways. Public schools just about routinely throughout this country severely restrict innovative out of the box teaching even for non learning disabled kids. In my area there have been, over years, more than one teacher fired for being inventive in teaching a concept.

Sometimes private schools have less restrictions because they are private and the government doesn't sit on them as tight as public special education is sat on by the government, county, district.

Education in public schools is only fair for gifted and talented and above average. Everyone else suffers horribly.
    Anonymous

• wow paying any school to help with a special need child is still a pretty penny, public or not. Just be greatful ur kids dont have those complications and commend those who help parents who have special needs children.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• watch the seven minute video on the challenged child website and you'll have a better idea of what a private school (for special needs) already has to offer versus sending these children to school that would have to BUY all of this for one or two children. It makes sense that these children are going to schools that have what they need.

Please watch this video:  http://www.challengedchild.org/video2.html

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Anona @ 7:pm - not sure if its an obama thing,like I said I missed all of it but the last few minutes
    Anonymous

• private school vouchers (for typical children) :

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/mar/09030504.html

http://www.schoolchoices.org/roo/vouchers.htm

http://www.nysun.com/national/obama-open-to-private-school-vouchers/71403/
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2009