I have a 8 week old that will only nap during the day if I hold him. And as soon I put him down he wakes up. I want to break him of this habit so I can get stuff done around my house. I feel bad letting him cry it out though. Any ideas?

AdriensMomma

Asked by AdriensMomma at 7:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Use a front or back pack, or one of those slings for babies.

Answer by Bmat at 7:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• do you swaddle him? If not, try that. thats the only way i could get my dd to go down for a nap without me....or even sleep at night for that matter.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My daughter was very picky at that age(and still is at 18 months) as far as "when" to lay her down once asleep. I had figured it out to be: let her fall asleep, wait 10 minutes, then lay her down. Any sooner, she would wake right back up, any later, she would wake right back up. I suggest trying differnt lengths of time to see what would work for him.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• When he starts to doze off lay him down. Swaddle him before he is ready to sleep so that he feels secure.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 7:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• SLING! You can go about your business with no issues.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Swaddle!!! :) Slings are nice, but are a complete B when trying to clean! Its hard to get on your hands and knees to scrub when you have a baby hanging from you.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 10:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Grab a sling so you can get the other stuff done while he is on you and it truly is the most loveliest time. I love my DD snuggling up to me during day and at night she goes down easily into her bassinett (all night long)

If you want to have him in the bassinett he needs to go down drowsy but awake because if you are putting him down asleep it is a massive difference and like you going to sleep in bed and waking in the bathroom tub. The last thing he should be seeing is the bassinett so he is comfy there. Easier said than done I know and I couldn't be bothered struggling to get her to sleep in a bassinett when I knew how well she slept on me!
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Slings are a great suggestion. Also, how long are you holding him before laying him down? It's best to wait at least 15 minutes so they'll enter into a deep sleep. At 8 weeks, though your baby might just enjoy being held. Please, don't worry about the house it will all get done eventually but your baby is only a baby for a short period of time--enjoy it!

Also, if you are breastfeeding you could lay down with baby in your bed and then gently roll away once they're asleep.
    Anonymous