Why do you respect bravado?

Why do you respect non-Christian people when they speak their mind without sensitivity. Why are you impressed when someone says they don't care what people think of them, but get upset when Christians speak their mind?

I just notice that a lot of non-Christians say things like "I don't care what people think of me" (A LOT).

But these same people are always getting their feelings hurt when some (possibly wierd) Christian says you can only get to heaven through Jesus.

Is it a double standard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "I've been labeled a b***h and I wear it proudly"

I don't understand why people say things like this.

You are proud that people think you are a b***h.
    Anonymous

• OP here: I am only talking about people who actually take pride in being rude.

Why are they so respected?
    Anonymous

• I don't know if that's true. I speak my mind. In fact I HOLD BACK a lot of times, out of respect for cafemom rules. And I am still disrespected. Still in spite of my feelings about certain self-righteous, arrogant, holy rolling psychotrolls, I have more respect for those who stand out in the open, using their screen names while spouting ridiculous religi-babble than I do for those who hide like rats behind the anonymous tab to spout their vicious venom. People are too politically correct these days. It's rare to find someone willing to put their opinions out there and own up to them at the same time. A psychotroll who does this is still WRONG, IMO, but I will respect their conviction much more if they put their identity on it.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yeah, what witchqueen said. And with Christians, most of the time it is more of a "You better do it cause the bible said so" thing then anything. It's not coming from the standpoint of "This is what I believe." I don't mind what someone believes, but when they try to tell everyone else that they should believe that way just because a book said so, that is when I start to get pissy.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I really don't know who you might be referring to. I see no non-christians on here with hurt feelings. Are you sure you are not reading something more into the words on a computer screen?? Speak your mind and do it without using an anoymous tab and I hold more respect for you too. I mean a screenname keeps me anonymous enough. But hey whatever you want to think you think it. I've been labeled a b***h and I wear it proudly. See my journal for elaboration. Have a blessed day....anonymous.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I'm with everyone else ---- not seeing what you're seeing.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I agree with Spiritguide - I really don't mind when someone says "I believe this" - everyone has a right to their own beliefs and can express them.
    It's when people say "believe as I believe, in the way i believe it, or you are going to hell" is offensive. Calling those who are pro-choice "murderers" is offensive. Pushing beliefs on others or attempting to convert is not what cafemom is for. Healthy debate and answering other momma's questions/problems is what we are here for.

I admire Shaneagle - she always answers with her heart, but never puts anyone down that I have seen.
    Free speech is never free - there are consequences to what one says. And people may get rude because they are offended. It may not be because of what they believe, but how they express themselves.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• ITA with all of the above.  Do you have a specific example of exactly what it is you are talking about?

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I don't think I could have said it any better than the previous posters
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Read my journal. You might understand a little better anoymous. People can think what they want. Especially people over the internet who have to use anonymous tabs. Anyone that truly knows me, knows that I am far from a bitch. But why should I let other people's opinons affect my life?? Again think what you want of me, it doesn't matter. I know who I am and I am proud of it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2009