do you let your preschooler

watch tv? if so for how long? ds just turned three and I'm pregnant due august 2 so lately I've been letting him watch one or two movies through out the day so when dd is born he will be used to it if I need it... I just feel bad because I always told myself that my kids wouldn't watch tv until they were older. my brother and I were raised on tv and I got to the point it ran my life. eventually I got rid of it until I met my fiance. but anyways how much tv (if any) do your preschoolers watch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She watches no more than 2 hours a day. Sometimes it's a Disney movie - carefully pre-screened since even some cartoons are scary and could cause nightmares (Sleeping Beauty, Monsters Inc). But usually it's PBS. The shows there are very good and teach more than the shows on Nick or Disney.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• oh yeah....I used to be the Mom that said my kids would never watch TV too... but they do! I would guess that my kids (10yo, 6yo, and 4yo) get about an hour on a nice day and 4 hours or more on a stormy day.

TV isn't all bad any more. When I was growing up, the experts stated saying TV was really bad. It was! Road runner and daffy duck all day did NOTHING for our little brains, but we came out ok. Now there are SO many educational programs on TV. This generation of kids is the smartest at the youngest age (reading IN kindergarten instead of learning letters in kindergarten kinda smart)

The other reason that I hear that TV is bad is because some kids sit around eat, watch TV, and get fat....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• my kids get 1 half-hour program a day on average, more if it's a movie.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I would not have survived my 2nd pregnancy or my maternity leave if it weren't for the good old boob tube for my 3 year old! Try to get her into some educational shows so you can feel less guilty!
    triciahinrichs

Answer by triciahinrichs at 9:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I have three year old twins and a two year old, and they watch tv. I cant even say though how much because its on all day for the noise...but they hardly watch it...unless barney is on!
    Anonymous

• I guess I am a horrible mama. My daughter watches Noggin a lot. We play alot during the day but Noggin is always on.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My daughter loves TV. We are WWE fanatics (yes I know the horror stories but I was raised on wrestling and I love it) and we love disney. She gets to watch a movie just before bedtime and during the day she watches Dora, Mickeys Playhouse and a variety of educational shows. Even if its a sing-a-long video its educational (works their memory and is interactive). Depending on the day, we watch and interact with the program together. TV is the devil it used to be but its not a saint either. You have to decide what your comfortable with and how much.
    vnrose

Answer by vnrose at 8:19 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I don't restrict tv for my daughter because she hardly watches it. She'll watch half a movie and then ask to go play outside but if she wanted to watch it all the time I would probably limit it. She does like to play with my iPhone though and for that I give her 10 minutes at a time. I don't think there's anything wrong with watching tv as long as she stays active and she's aware of other things around her
    ChestyLerou

Answer by ChestyLerou at 1:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2009