6mo. is rocking herself. she was gone for 5wks. with her dad and came home rocking herself. I thought maybe he was using her swing alot. please tell me it is'nt something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my little sister would sit on the sofa and like bang her body into the sofa "rocking' I thought is was the craziest thing in the world she was young and then one day she stoped it was just her way of going to sleep. She grew out of it and my mom brought her to the dr and he said it was nothing. I don't know if it is the same kind of rocking maybe you could bring her in to the dr just to get check out to be on the safe side.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Not trying to be rude, but what else could it be.....I mean as far as something to be worried about.?
    Anonymous

• Why did you let him take your child for 5 weeks!
    Anonymous

• I dont know if it would be anything to be worried about, but if you are worried take her to the Dr.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• since she was with him for 5 wks i'm sure she got attached to him, it may be her way of comforting herself over the fact that he's not there now.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I think adults and babies rock for different reasons. Adults rock because of mental incapacity or something wrong with them but i think babies do it more for comfort. I would ask if anything happened while she was there that could have upset her.

Don't listen to the rude people on here who don't answer the question
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Shes just self soothing, one of my twin boys would do it, she may like other moms said be doing it because she got attached to her daddy
    navajomomoflot

Answer by navajomomoflot at 10:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I used to rock myself or bang as the pp said it was a way of soothing myself so go to sleep. It's more than likely the same thing. It's nothing to worry about I've known other people who have done it and we're are normal.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:19 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It is very traumatic for babies and children to be removed from one environment and placed in another. Babies do not have a concept of time, and they haven't developed a sense of object permance yet either. If she was used to being with you and your routien, I would bet money that the rocking is related to the abandonment. Is there any other solution that would actually be in the best interest of your baby that you could work out with the father?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2009