• In the Spotlight:

Feeding advice

My son is 3 months old. He weighes 15 pds and 25 inches long. He is taking 7-9 ozs every 3-4 hours. Wonder if it would be possible to start him on baby food sooner?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At the advice of my ped, I started spoon feeding cereal to my baby at 2 months. She was also a big baby. The cereal helped her stay full longer (and she began sleeping through the night almost immediately-added bonus!) I would talk to your ped, tell them how much your baby is taking & see if they think starting cereal is okay. I wouldn't do anything without talking to them first though. Sometimes they don't want to start cereal until 4 months.
    chrissie79

Answer by chrissie79 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Talk to your ped...but solids readiness is NOT based on weight. It's based on all kinds of things you CANNOT see, and a few that you can.

Chrissie's results aren't typical, unfortunately...cereal usually makes them wake more.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• If you feel it might help it wouldn't hurt to try. It's not like you have to sign a contract when you start cereal that you have to continue from here on out even if it's not working for you. You won't be doomed to cereal feeding every day if you decide to stop.

I would suggest to ask your child's ped. I know many moms that got their child to sleep through the night because of a dinner feeding of a little bit of cereal.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Adding cereal or baby food has nothing to do with how much formula they are taking. Mine were taking 8oz every 2-3 hours starting at 6 weeks.

You only have another month....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2009