Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are there any resouces to help a father to know what steps to take to get full custody of his child.

are there any resouces to help a father to know what steps to take to get full custody of his child. my boyfriend wants custody of daughter because her mom is not fit.

Answer Question

Asked by MAXM at 7:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I'm sure there are lots. A quick search of "Dad's Rights" found a bunch, including this one:

    I don't know anything about it but there it is.
    Good Luck!

    Answer by kaycee14 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • She's not fit in who's eyes? You are going to have to prove that. Has DCFS been called in? Do you have documentation from doctors and such that the child is not being taken care of, including police reports? It's a lot of work Hon. Documentation, proof, video, etc...

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • call cps. Let them come in and if she's not fit they will give the child to the dad

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • I'm thinking a lawyer would be a very good resource.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • ditto to cps. they are trained to tell if a situation is not safe for a child. anyone can say someone is not fit, just by them doing something differently. cps will make an unbiased judgment, to make sure its not just the dad wanting custody just because.

    Answer by m4m4 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • When,did she become unfit,has she been taking care of this child all the time,and now that her dad has a girlfriend,he seeing how unfit she is,if ,she was so unfit,why didn't your boyfriend asked for help and not you. Please forgive me for being blunt,but,I have seen too many men leave their kids mother for a new woman,and then the new woman want to look good in the man eyes,you got her man,now you want her child.If, you really concern,offer her some help and support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

  • My brother got a very good attorney. He documented an took photos of how dirty his daughter was when he picked her up and noted how she had a crazy appetite when he fed her. She told him mommy slept all day and she had to eat what she could find somedays. He got his daughter to a counselor and had them question her intead of him doing it. She begged at 4 years old to live with her daddy. They went to court and all evidence was presented he won full custody. His ex did not want to see the daughter she only wanted her for the 2k in child support he was paying. My niece is very happy with her daddy and her new mommy.

    Many moms are not fit and I think men and women should have an equal shot at custody. Moms do not automatically make the best parent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN