Does anyone own a push reel mower with the grass catcher?

I want one but I want to get a good one, I know you will have to do everything manually compared to your regular motor mower.

Do you own one if so tell me about your experience on it.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• a "reel" mower? Are you talking about the old fashion mowers that had no motor, just a set of blades that turned when you pushed it?
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• :-) I just googled it.... and YES!! That is what I thought you meant!! My grandma had one that I used when I was a kid and then I had it for a while last year. It didn't have a bagger attached though. When the blades were sharp it worked really well. Some one stole it from my yard though.... I had no idea you could still buy them. I thought you could only get them in antique shops!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I just found this interesting article: http://www.eartheasy.com/article_reel_mower.htm

I am just fasinated by this idea.... when my mower kicks the bucket (which will probably be soon) I may look into getting a reel mower again!! Thanks for the idea!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We have a push mower, but no grass catcher; we leave the cuttings to feed the grass.

We bought it about 10 years ago; we take it to a hardware store every spring to get cleaned and have the blades sharpened.

It is great exercise!!

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I didn't think people still wanted to buy those. We had one when I was a kid because we were too poor to get a motorized lawn mower. I remember my dad really worked up a sweat using it and we didn't even have a big yard to cut. Ours also didn't have a bag. It was us kids job to rake up the clippings and put them in a bag. My dad hated it but didn't have much choice (we now have an electric mower that we've had for like 25 years).
    There's actually a lady that lives around the corner from us that has one and I see her out there once a week. It takes her forever to cut her grass.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2009