Is She Hurt?

I had my 5 month old daughter on the couch. I turned to grab a teething biscuit out of my bag, and when I turned around, she was turning over. I tried to catch her in time, but she rolled off the couch and hit her head. She cried when it happened, but calmed down after I soothed her, but now I'm not sure what to do. How do I know if she's hurt or not? I feel awful!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she calmed quickly and is acting her normal self, then she's probably fine. Just keep an eye on her. If she doesn't seem to be acting right - extra fussy, not using both arms or kicking both legs, suddenly gets extra sleepy, then call.

And as you now know, accidents happen FAST. You can't prevent them all (you'd go crazy trying and it's not good for her) but now that she is rolling over, do not put her on any raised surfaces, even for a moment. Put her on a blanket on the floor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It's better to err on the side of caution. Call your local hospital and ask for a triage nurse. She or he will do a triage over the phone with you.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My baby just fell of the couch today too :( She is 18 months and it was her first time falling off. She has done really well with climbing up and down, but for some reason she decided to try to go head first over the arm. We have hard wood floors too. But she was ok, she cried and got a booboo on her forehead but other than that she showed no signs of anything being wrong. The pp is right, you cannot prevent everything...but I wouldnt put your five month old on the couch again with out you being right there and if you get up, get her off the couch too. The pp is right again about Keeping an eye on her and making sure her body seems to be ok. If she suddenly gets sleepy, it could be a concusion and if she is hard to keep awake take her to the ER.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2009