What do other stay at home moms with young kids do all day?

I have a 4 year old and a 6 month old. We only have one car and my husband has it all day at work, so on a regular day we have no way of going anywhere. My 6 month old takes up a lot of my time. The only time I get during the day to relax, clean, use the bathroom, etc is when the 6 month old is sleeping. I feel really bad for my 4 year old because he is bored most of the time. On an average day there isn't much to do around the house other than watch TV. He has lots of toys, but wants other kids to play with him. We live pretty far from the city so we can't just walk anywhere and no one wants to drive all the way out here just to bring their child over for a play-date. Not to mention I have lost contact with most other people now that I am home all day without a car. I can't take him to a preschool with out a car either.I feel like a bad mother since my 4 year old watches so much TV while I am busy with the baby and cleaning.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• if there's a playground within walking distance give it a shot.
    rhiannon728

Answer by rhiannon728 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• What about doing crafts and sensory things with him? Each day (you could set it up after they go to bed) have a box with something different in it like oatmeal, rice, a bowl with water, etc. He can tell you how it feels, if he likes the texture/feeling, etc. For crafts, you can get some glitter glue, etc at the Dollar Store next time you're out and have him do special crafty type things. Play-doh is always fun, too! What about getting him a sand and/or water table?
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I'm sure he has plenty of toys, etc. Why not buy a few crafty items that you can do with him (painting, drawing, cutting and gluing, etc) while the 6 month old sits in a high chair or bouncy seat or something beside you. Even 15 minutes of attention devoted to your 4 yr old will be a great time for him.

Also, if your 4 year old does not nap when your 6 month old does, you can have your 4 year old "help" you out with chores, and he will feel like he is really contributing to the household. My daughter just turned 5 and she loves to do little things like folding her laundry and helping me cook. She loves it and its actually fun for her at this age.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Make some sort of schedule..

like from 9-10 is mommy and 4yr old time.. and from 2-4 is mommy and 4yr old time.. and allow the 6mo to play quietly near you.. (at that age.. 6mo needs lots of tummy time for learning to use its own muscles..so it is good for them too.. and might stimulate crawling.. if they are on the floor it won't be a problem.. assuming the floors are clean..)

go to www.supernanny.com

MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We have a loose schedule and he also attends school right now two days a week.
    I do laundry, we play and read books. I do dishes, we play. We color, use playdough. We go outside if the weather is nice, we have already got his little pool out too.
    We have lunch and lie down for a little nap if he will.
    We run errands together, he loves being in the car.
    I fix dinner, we play some more, Sometimes we may go visit a friend too.
    We do crafts once in a while, he is impatient with the glue and safety scissors. He prefers me to draw for him.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• We do a lot of finger paints, sand box, pay-doh & sprinkler stuff. Oh & bubbles, gotta love bubbles. Have you thought about a swingset for him? Or maybe seeing about a nother child his age to babysit? He gets a friend a few days a week and you get extra $....
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 10:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009