Anyone have advice on echocardiograms?

I had my ultrasound today and found out I am having a baby girl. I was very happy to see everything was there(arms, legs,etc.) However my spirits were crushed when the doctor said there is a "shiny" area of her heart that has to be looked at by a specialist. He kept mentioning chromosomes and how 1 in 100 babies have them but 1 in 900 are born with issues? I was and still very upset and trying not to worry about it but can't help this is my fault? He assured me not to worry about it but how can't I? Can anyone give me some advice or encouragement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If there is indeed an issue with your precious baby girl it is not your fault! If you want to talk feel free to send me a message. I know there must be a lot you are dealing with right now. My son has Down Syndrome, and while he does not have a heart issue, I know getting news that something isn't, or might not be "right" with your baby is really hard.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I know its easier said then done, but try not to get too upset about what you were told today. A friend of mine was told at about 28-30 weeks that her baby girl had fluid around her heart and a calicification on her brain. She was sent to all kinds of specialists who didn't think it was anything to really be concerned with. She carried to term and delivered as beautiful happy, HEALTHY, baby girl. My point is, while OB's are great and are our first line of defense, they don't know everything. See the specialist, and have the tests he/she suggests. Good luck to you!! Wish you the best news for you and your baby girl :0)
    TWOMUCHFUN09

Answer by TWOMUCHFUN09 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2009