daughter's language

Is this too much? Ever since my beautiful, popular daughter Shelly(19) has been hanging around with two other girls from troubled families who use colorful language, she has become more open with her language for example now whenever she is in the bathroom she will announce that she "is busy taking a shit" I'm no prude and I know we all do this but should I be accepting this language?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Tell her when she is under your roof she doesnt speak that way. Thats what I was told growing up and to this day when im in my Moms house I do not cuss
    Anonymous

• I would ask her to tone it down a bit. Just tell her that you understand that swearing sneaks its way into everyday speech, however she needs to respect that it's still your house and that (1) not everyone wants to know what she's doing in the bathroom and (2) if she wants to talk that way, she can gladly move out or pay rent. I'd almost bet that she'll change her ways :)
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• You need to tell her you don't like hearing her use that kind of language because she should be educated well enough to express herself in a better manner, and you do not appreciate it in your home. She will probably continue to speak that way around her friends or whatever, but she may make a better effort to not use bad language in your presence.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Here's what you do.
    1) tell her you know she's using this language because of her friends, we pick up habits without realizing sometimes, however obvious
    2) how she speaks with her friends is her business
    3) she will not use that language in your house or you will ask her to leave (not kicking out, but maybe just go out)
    4) her friends, if ever in your home, will not speak that way in your house, or they WILL be kicked out, no exceptions

she doesnt like the rules, she can leave...she's 19, she's old enough to decide which is more important, staying in your house, or using that language wherever else she chooses to live.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I think that is sooo unlady like, you have a right to demand her language is respectful when in your home.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I happen to know a few beautiful popular high school girls who have some pretty bad mouths. Just because someone comes from a "troubled family" doesnt mean they are unacceptable and do things like offer color information about there bodily functions etc. Your daughter is 19 years old and old enough to know better. Its HER fault that the "shi* runneth over" from her mouth not anybody else's, including her "troubled friends". I generally dont let things like this bother me, I tend to consider the source. For some reason your arrogant words just really annoyed me.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2009