DO YOU HAVE WIC IN YOUR STATE?

I was on WIC with my first daughter. I was just wondering if there are any states that don't have it. Also, I would like to inform mothers that it is more of a health program than anything and I don't think you have to be poor to be on it. You can use it while you're pregnant for healthy foods and farmers markets. If you choose to formula feed, it saves you hundreds of dollars a month on that and if you are breastfeeding they keep you healthy and provide you with a really good breast pump. (Which I will be using with my next baby in a couple months.) Also, why are people claiming their reason for not using a pump is that they can't afford one if they have the option to go to WIC and get one? Just wondering.

tcarter1981

Asked by tcarter1981 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• louisiana we have it.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Idaho we have it, but they go of your incom and you only get a pump if you go to school or work in our state
    Anonymous

• We have it and they go by your income also. But if your BF you get a new pump and you get to keep it. We have really great farmer markets here in the town I live in, so WIC also give $100 coupons for the summer to get your veggies and fruit.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• yeah, MS && TN have it as well...
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• it is income based only to get it in minnesota its under 32k a year
    Anonymous

• ohio has it and goes off your income
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Washington state has it too, and its really nice here because you can get organic milk :-) I don't know about the pumps because my daughter was 4 when she got on it here. It does go off income, but I think it varies by state. I don't see anything wrong with a person being on WIC if they meet the income qualifications.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• KY has it.. it goes by your income, but you can make up to 45k a year and still get it
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• PA Wic only gives a pump if you are going back to work full time and need it and the pump must be returned when you are done. It is a hospital grade pump like you can rent. For a family of 4 you have to make less then 40K (or around there) in PA. It has higher income levels then food stamps, but there are still many who don't qualify (like myself now) because they make too much.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It is income based for everything except info.
    Some moms say they can't afford a pump because they can't afford a pump. It's like asking "Since HeadStart is free, why do some parents say they can't afford preschool for their child?" It's income based. You can make too much for benefits but not make enough to do it on your own. Every location has a different cost of living, every family has different expenses. One family may have tons of extra money with just $35K a year. Another may be squeaking by with $80K. Judging every family by the same "yardstick" is the only thing the government knows but any thinking person knows it does not work well.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2009