I'm a working mom and feel like the only thing I do with my preschooler after work is cook dinner and put her to bed. I need some ideas on fast and easy ways to make her feel special! I also have a one year old who requires time. Any advice on finding a balance?

triciahinrichs

Asked by triciahinrichs at 9:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is she helping you with dinner? that could be special time for the two of you, cooking dinner together. Try sitting down after dinner and reading her a few books or even taking turns making up stories. They have wonderful imaginations at this age I am sure you know and my daughter loved to make up stories at that age. Shes 5 now and she still loves making up stories!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• When I had to work, I tried to make sure I read her a story of her choice every night. Do you have weekends off? You can try to make sure you do something just the two fo you once a week. Make it something she wants to do. It doesn't have to be long and expensive. It can be going to the park, berry picking, getting an ice cream cone, anything. Just as long as it's about what your child wants to do. I know it's hard when you're stressed out, but try your best to have a little special snuggle time every day. Kids that age don't judge, all they know is they love you and want you to love them back. You don't want a clingy child either and my daughter loved daycare. It didn't bother her at all when I was working.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• get a little step stool and let her stand next to you while your cooking dinner and watch what your doing and ask her questions about her day and ask her to help you with the easy things
    Anonymous

• When I put my 5 year old to bed sometimes after a day where we haven't been together much I tell her the story of when she was born. She LOVES to hear the story of how she was a preemie, and had to stay in the NICU, and the day we brought her home. Try that sometimes. Also when I read stories to my daughter I put her in the story.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My mom and I always had a routine at night-- I would "help" make dinner, then we would share stories about our day while we ate dinner across the table from each other. When it was time for bed, we picked out a story together and we read it-- i usually knew the stories well enough that I could recite them verbatim-- then we had a kissing routine: one kiss on each cheek, then one on the nose, and one on the lips.

It was our special thing-- and I still treasure the memories. Eventually I got too big for these routines, or so I thought. I miss them now, but I plan to implement a similar routine with my children.

Any routine that is created just for you two will make it special. Whatever it is, make sure it involves lots of interaction and shows how aware of her you are.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2009