Question for nursing moms

When your baby wakes in the middle of the night, do you soothe him/her back to sleep or always feed him then put him back to bed?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 9:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I nursed back to sleep. I actually just rolled over and gave the boob and went back to sleep. We all slept pretty well that way.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I nurse him and put him back to bed... against my doctor's orders.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I used to get up every time she cried and go in there and nurse her, then I realized that she was expecting it. After one night of not going in there, she slept just fine. She ate plenty during the day, so she wasn't hungry, just wanted to be soothed. She learned to put herself back to sleep and now she sleeps all night. (BTW, I nursed until 8 months and she's weaned now)
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I checked to see if it was anything else first, like maybe a diaper change or trapped gas, and if everything was fine and he still fussed I'd nurse him. eventually I got to know his "hunger cry" and just nursed him back to bed when he woke at night. he self weaned off night nursing around 10 m/o and self weaned nursing all together 3 days after his 1st bday!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I always and still nurse my soon to be 12 month old whenever he woke up unless it was a bad night and he woke up every hour...then I would lay there and wait for him to go back to sleep..and when i do get up and nurse him he is still awake when I put him back down.
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I nurse her and put her back to bed...which its a bad thing to do now....
    Anonymous

• It depends. I can usually tell if my son(who is now 1 year ) is hungry or if he just needs some rocking or singing. Sometimes he needs to be soothed by nursing, too like when he is teething. Comforting your baby is never bad thing to do.
    Anonymous

• Nurse back to sleep if she's hungry. I can usually tell, since she eats every 3 hrs. pretty regulalry. If it's before that, I knwo she's not really hungry and then I get my husband to pat her. SHe goes right back to sleep if she's not hungry. If she is hungry she'll just keep crying and I know to feed her.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2009