How is it?

This is from another response in another post. Why is it that Pagans try to compare the God of the bible with their mythical gods/godesses? I don't understand they all agree that is is myth meaning they are only stories created to give an explanation of the world around them using make-believe supernatural beings. When the bible on the other hand was written with by real people with documented existence who gives eye witness accounts on their experiences with their supernatural GOD. Writers of the bible talk about One God that never changes. It seems that Pagans make up gods/goddesses as they go to explain what they can't understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• mmk ?
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Well you believe in angels and the devil right? Some would say that they are make believe beings as well.

What would you call hieroglyphics? Egyptians were real people - they wrote about their stories and real life experiences.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I don't know people do that. But I agree with you. I'm a christian mother who goes to church every sunday .
    Patty414

Answer by Patty414 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• And, of course, men are PERFECT, right? And they would NEVER make up something to make their religion and their god look better and all-powerful, right? Get your reality check here. The bible is propaganda, just like every other mythology in existence. Even if there is some truth or history there, it's too well camoflaged by exaggeration and falsehoods for ANYONE to know the difference.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Just because someone wrote the bible doesn't mean a god ever existed. I can write a book about a unicorn in my back yard, but does that mean there actually was a unicorn in my backyard, no.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 9:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Um. The mythology stories were written by real people too, who would have also claimed to have seen everything that they wrote if it were all put into some sort of special book.

The bible, to me at least, is the same as the mythology stories. It's no different. To me, and to many pagans, all gods are ONE god. your God, my God, the hindu gods, japanesse. whatever. They're all the same (please dont misunderstand. i do realize there are differences in the stories and what it means to individual as well as groups of ppl). We just choose one way, and you choose another.

Again, this is all my opinion.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Are you trying to say real people didn't write the stories of other gods/goddesses?? Your god is just as much myth as all the others. As Stephen Roberts put it " I contend we are all atheists. I simply believe in one less god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss the possibility of all other gods/goddesses you will understand why I dismiss yours." We don't make them up as we go along. We studied mythology in school. People have made up gods and goddesses for a long time to explain things they didn't understand. That does include the people who wrote the bible. Man has always made god in his own image.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• 2autisticsmom said it better then i did.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• 2autisticsmom

Are you trying to say real people didn't write the stories of other gods/goddesses?? Your god is just as much myth as all the others. As Stephen Roberts put it " I contend we are all atheists. I simply believe in one less god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss the possibility of all other gods/goddesses you will understand why I dismiss yours." We don't make them up as we go along. We studied mythology in school. People have made up gods and goddesses for a long time to explain things they didn't understand. That does include the people who wrote the bible. Man has always made god in his own image.

I dated him in college! (I feel like such a damn groupie!) But, no kidding, we were together for two years. He was the first person I ever met who had the same views I did, only he wasn't afraid to say them.

Also, I agree with you completely here. Man made god in his own image, not vice-versa.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Sara Purser makes a good point, too.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2009