is it ok for my 6 week old baby 2 drink water? if not why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no its not okay, i believe the reason is that it affects how they absorb nutrients in formula/breast milk. it also fills them up so that they aren't hungry and don't eat as often as they should.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• A little bit won't hurt but a newborn's liver can't yet handle straight water and it can cause water intoxication. But there really isn't a need for it at that at either. If you think she is thirsty give her a little formula or breastmilk.
    Anonymous

• I googled it for you and found that one reason you should not give them water is Rapid brain growth is taking place at this time in a baby's life, so it really isn't wise to be feeding a baby empty calories. And another health reason is that Water supplementation in an infant can lead to oral water intoxication. When this happens, the sodium in his bloodstream becomes so diluted that the baby's body is unable to function properly. This can result in an altered mental state, abnormally low body temperature, bloating, and even seizures (Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 1997;151:830-32). I found this info on http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,441n,00.html
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• No!! Your baby NEEDS the nutrients found in breastmilk or formula. Water will fill up his or her tummy and they will miss out on the vital nutrients they need in order to thrive!
    Anonymous

• my pediatrician said no water until 4 months old..something about messing up the baby's electrolytes.
    LoveMyKids81

Answer by LoveMyKids81 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Water will fill up a baby until they don't want to eat. That being said, when I was nursing my DS, I would put a couple drops of water on my nipple to encourage him to latch on. We lived in Boise, Idaho in the dessert area & it was hot as hades. His mouth would get dry & it was much easier to get him to latch on if it was a bit moist. I figured 2-3 drops of water was better than not nursing!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I was told NO because it dilutes the bloods ability to absorb nutrients and babies can easily get way too much water which can kill you.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2009