How do you deal with depression?

For those of you that are/have been depressed, what helped you? I have a dr appointment tomorrow but I'd like to know what you all have done to help fight depression.

How do you reassure yourself that you aren't a failure? I feel so ashamed and guilty and like such a failure sometimes that those feelings alone are overwhelming, let alone my "reasons" for feeling that way.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Health

• Get some sunshine every day. Even if it's overcast, you can still benefit from the sun. Also, even a short walk every day can help raise endorphins and that will help you feel happier. The best thing for me is, believe it or not, talking out my problems with my husband. He is so good with me and tries really hard to build me up and convince me I'm not a loser like I think. Also, you could try a natural supplement called SAMe. You can buy it at Walmart I think. It helped me a lot when I was depressed. Good luck.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• i'm on 2 antidepressants. i was on one until my husband passed away . the docs are keeping me on 2 right now because a few days after his funeral i was suicidal.
    i also wnet to therapy & am starting a new support/therapy group in august.
    i always feel like a failure so i can't help with that part. but talking to someone really is cleansing.
    justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 9:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I had a great support system, and that is very important. I felt guilty for leaning on my husband and family during this time, but had they not been there, I would not be here now. I would do the same for each of them. I had PPD. My doc put me on Lexapro and with in a week, I had perked up a little, and not long after I was feeling a lot better. I was ashamed for a while, and I finally had to realize that it wasn't my fault, hormones can be insane sometimes, and make us feel so bad. I stayed on it for about a year and slowly weened off. It was a hard dark time, and besides the meds, I'd say just having someone to talk to (my husband) helped a lot. Take time for yourself when you get overwhelmed. It's ok to walk outside for a minute and take a breath. It's ok to cry or to just let out a big yell, sometimes those things help. Good Luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I'm not just working for money, I work for my self esteem. I was soo depressed and the second I started working, even though it's part time at home I just felt happier inside. Alot of people say excersizing helps and I talk alot when I need help or am stressed about something. If you ever need to talk, let me know.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Serve to others can help, you forget about yourself, and start to think about other people`s lives, and how to help them deal w/ their problems, then your own problems, don´t seem so big anymore. It has helped me a lot.
    Walen

Answer by Walen at 11:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Hospitalization, therapy, medication, and ECT.
    I still have depression and I still have my 'good' days and 'bad' days, but i'm not zombied out on drugs and I am beginning to lead a normal life again.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I had to purchase a sun light for depression, and it helps especially during the winter. It really all depends. Exercise, becoming active, eating well, acquiring a healthy hobby, ect. There are so many things you can try to help improve your mood. There also is the medications. You really have to find what exactly works for you and keep your spirits up. That can be very hard some times, but always remember things can be better and strive towards that.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yeah, I know it's not great for you, but tanning in the winter always helped me. Turn on some troplical tunes and pretend you're on a beach somewhere. Maybe you can give yourself a mini spa at home. Take a long bath, deep condition your hair, do your nails, etc. I know it seems superficial, but it does help you feel refreshed. Eat healthy and excersize. Little things that put you first are very important especially when you're a mom. It's not selfish to take some time to yourself and relax and dream.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009