converting to islam

i've been thinking lately...ive been studying islam for awhile now, having a husband who is muslim i'm sure has peaked my curiousity for the religion as well, ive considered converting but not sure yet. i'd like to hear some personal exp. from some moms who converted and why? and has it been hard? and also what has been the best exp about it so far.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The most important thing -- or maybe the ONLY thing -- I think is: Do you believe it?

If you have studied the Qur'an in depth & truly believe it to be the truth over all else, then you've already 'converted'. Whatever you believe is what you are. Having a conversion ceremony (or whatever the proper term is) is nothing more than making your beliefs public.

If you have doubts.... if there are things that still raise your "bullshit" flag... then maybe hold off & study more.

There is a quote from the Buddha that might help you here. He said:

Believe not because some old manuscripts are produced, believe not because it is your national belief, because you have been made to believe it from your childhood; but reason it all out, and after you have analysed it, then, if you find that it will do good to one and all, believe it, live up to it, and help others to live up to it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• John 14:6
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• shahada is a pillar of islam. it's not some ceremony to make things public. Taking shahada is testifying to GOD that you believe There is no diety worthy of worship except Allah and that his final messenger was prophet Mohammad.

Islam is not about erasing all doubt.. accepting Allah is not about erasing all doubt. .It is the commencement of learning about Allah, Who he is and what your role is.

Taking Shahada prepares you for the road ahead. Taking shahada m eans that you have saved yourself from disbelief. it is a mercy and a blessing from Allah.

My friend if you are ready.. just testify to Allah your belief in in.. and the rest will follow.

i testified 3 years ago and i've learned everything i need since.. and im continuing to learn... islam was revealed in stages... and you will learn it in stages.

congratulations... Allah is favoring you. Just the fact that you are thinking of it.. is of tremendous benefit.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• http://www.intouch.org/site/c.cnKBIPNuEoG/b.4945473/k.BE35/Home.htm
    Anonymous

• i converted to islam because i believe it to be the truth! I asked questions .i read books. I watched muslim women and muslim families and i was struck by the dedication to the religion, Allah and his messenger.

When i started to feel that i wanted to become muslim, i started preparing myself. I began wearing more modest clothing. I stopped cursing. I let the liquor alone and i stopped smoking. I knew with every question i asked and every page i read that i was coming closer to converting. I finally converted after getting smacked in the head with a pigeon and watching it take its last breath. I didnt' want to be the person who died while not taking shahada and testifying to Allah. I became muslim. dealing with my family was hard at first because they had alot of doubt and they tried hard to guide me to the bible. ( i had already rejected it). but eventually they mellowed out and now we are fine. i love being muslim
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• the best thing about converting to Islam is that you start a new leaf. you start as if you are a new born baby with no sins. everything before it is erased.

Islam is a way of life. and it is a comitment. it might not be easy to do everything all at once. that is why you should take it slowly and at your own pace. learn and grow into the faith insha' Allah ( God willing)

my best advice to you now. is ask about what gives you doubt. for knowledge is a light that disperses darkness. you can ask your husband. you can ask your imam, or you can some of the helpful sisters on here. I would be more than happy to offer you any answer. if I don't kno wit. I will definitely find if for you insha' Allah.

it always humbles me when I find sisters such as yourself who search for the truth and find Islam. may Allah fill your heart with His light, and Bless you. may He make easy on you what is best for you.

Ameen.
    proud2bmom3

Answer by proud2bmom3 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think it's very disrespectful of people to provide links to bible ministries or make references to biblical verses. apparently they think they have your best interest at hand. Thankfully you are being guided by Allah and he who He guides can never be misguided and he who He misguides can never be guided. Do not get deviated ... they will not help you in the least bit come judgement day.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would also like to add that there is no ceremony. once you believe in the oneness of Allah and accept prophet Muhammad peace be upon him as the last messenger of Allah, just by saying it to your self, you are Muslim insha' Allah. however, it is customary to testify in front of witneses. it could be your husband and the Imam, or your husband and a Muslim friend of yours..etc. but it is really something doing it at the masjid. I have witnessed a couple of revertions masha 'Allah. it is so beautiful to hear the takbeer and the tears and the hugs. Masha' Allah.

as you perform your shahadah, comes your prayer. you pray two raka's to start your life as a Muslim insha' Allah.

what wonderful news. insha' Alalh we wil be welcoming you into the fold of islam soon.
    please feel free to contact me anytime. or sister Aasiyah, she is one of the 'good ones" lol
    may God forgive us our trespasses and guide us all. amen
    proud2bmom3

Answer by proud2bmom3 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I converted to islam after beginning my reading of the Quran.. what made me convert was a series of events that made me submit . Death! Life has a way of making you go through lessons even if you don't want to. i've learned that it is by Allah. by the time reverted to Islam. I had made up my mind that no one in this world was more important than God and I wanted to show him that by reverting and accepting his final revelation.

The hardest part was the first day when i walked out of the mosque wearing my new me "im Muslim" hijab. But it was soon changed. i got to the nearest train station that day during a noreaster storm only to run into an ex from way back in the day who Knew me WEll... he recognized me in the midst of 9pm darkness, a rainstorm and my hijab.. That was Allah's way of breaking the ice for me. By the time I got home.. I was able to face my nieghbors and my family head strong and held high proud to be m
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• muslim and determined to learn how to please Allah and how to attain paradise.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:20 AM on Jun. 23, 2009