Formula feeding question.

Ok my son is 3 months old. He normally wakes up at 6 am and eats every 3 hours a 5 oz bottle. His last bottle is normally at 9pm. Recently after his 9pm feedin, 30 mins later he wants another bottle! And cries like no tommorow! So I feed him it and falls asleep. 10 ozs is alot right? What should I do? He drins Enfamil nutramigen. Please help...

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfeed my son but ran into the same type of thing with him. I pumped and my husband would give him bottles at night. Sometimes, he would eat a lot, I mean a lot. I think that it could be a few things; and with my son, it ended up being all three. One, he could be hungry and going through a growth spurt. Mine did this for about a week then returned to normal amounts. Also, sometimes babies do this because they "crave" the suckling action and they are not necessarily hungry. And it could be reflux (this is a long shot unless he's showing other symptoms). My son had reflux and the sucking and swallowing action actually soothed his reflux. I say, go with it. He'll tell you what he needs and if you are too concerned, give your pediatrician or his/her nurse a call. I've called mine for far less important questions. They are used to it.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 10:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Its very normal. Babies need a lot of calories before bed! My DS used to eat every hour from like 4 to 10 before bed. Pretty soon you can give him cereal before bed, so that will help!
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 10:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• its normal, ask his doc if you can start adding alittle rice to his formula to fill him up better, i had to do that at 1 month for my son but he was onlt 3lbs when he cam home
    Anonymous

• i say to let him cry cuz hes going to keep on doing that till hes older i have a 20 moths old baby and still wants a bottle in the middle of the nite...and know shes over weight just try to give him a pacifier or just put water in the bottle....i hope i helped...
    Anonymous

• DO NOT LET A BABY CRY WITH HUNGER

That makes you a MONSTER "anon."

Don't worry about it and enjoy it. he will let you know what he needs and when he needs it. The best thing you can do is follow his guide and give the baby as much food as he needs. There is no regulation necessary at this age. And, if he is finishing the bottle then it is most likely that he is hungry and not anything else. Don't put water in the bottle either. That is really dangerous for a little one and he is still gonna drink it...

GL
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• ummm, I think its kind of heartless to let a baby cry with hunger. BUT, it may not be that he is hungry. Maybe he just wants a little more attention right before bed. I know he is young, but maybe reading a book will soothe him a bit. If it is the bottle that he wants, and he is not overweight, I say give it to him. I don't expect anyone else besides me to judge my apetite, so I would not do that to anyone else. That's just how I would handle it. Good luck!
    MommaToSam

Answer by MommaToSam at 10:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• At three months, Im sure its that he his hungry and needs that extra little bit to get through the night. When you fed him the extra bottle does he seem to sleep longer?...probably so. It could be that you need to up his bottles during the day, from 5 to maybe 6oz and that will keep him fuller through out the day...but before changing that, check with the pedi. Keep giving that LO the extra food if he needs it. He is too young to worry about regulating his food intake unless he has aweight issue now.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My DD is 10 months - she is my first. In the beginning I wondered if I was feeding her too much, because a baby couldn't possibly be this hungry, lol. But she really was - it was usually a growth spurt. I realized that when she is hungry - she will eat. When she is full - she will stop (or throw up if she ate too much - the joys of mommyhood). If you check the diaper, burp him, make sure he is not too hot/cold, and its none of those things - he is probably hungry. And there are so many well check ups to go to that the pedi will tell you if he is eating too much. It will save you a lot of crying nights if you go ahead and give it to him - and he is too little to be spoiled. He may just be a "foodie" already, lol - like my little one. My DD crawled for the first time to a bottle of formula - and it was like 5 feet away - SERIOUSLY a food motivated baby. Just keep doing what you are doing!!! GL
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 2:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2009