Mobile homes and "trailer trash"?

My husband and I are ready to find a home for the next few years. We have one-year old and I think we are a very nice, MOSTLY quiet family ;o). We can't really qualify for a lot to buy a house, but we could afford to get into a mobile home, even a newer one. I am in school right now and my hubby is trying to work his way up as a CNA. The only thing I know about living in a mobile home is the older ones are not energy efficent and my hubby is afraid of what everyone else would think about us. Basically, his only problem is he doesn't want to be "trailer trash". But where u live shouldn't matter, should it? Are the newer ones more energy efficent now? What else should we know?

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 10:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've lived in trailers all my life. Just paid this one off in January.

I'm 32 yrs old & a SAHM of 4 and OWN --- as in the only thing I pay is the property taxes - 3 acres of land & 3 mobile homes.

Early next year, we are selling this one (outgrown it) and buying a new 5bdrm/3bath. We'll have it paid for in 10-12 yrs, I can take half the $$ I get from this one for new furniture, the other half can go in the bank for emergencies, AND if I decide I don't like the neighborhood any more, I can move my house where ever I want and rent out the land to make my house pymt with. :-)

Go for it! Let people say what they want. When they're still drowning in debt, taking out a 2nd mortgage, & complaining about their HOA you'll be making your last payment & planning a cruise.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Of, and BTW we live in Utah so there are no hurricanes or tornados, just winter and summer.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 10:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• there is a really nice trailer park a few miles from us. They're really clean and well kept and a few even have a benz or a bmx in the driveway. I think there is definitely a stigma associated with people who live in trailor parks but not all trailor parks are nasty.
    Anonymous

• your not trailer trash because you live in a trailer anybody can be trailer trash it just depends on how you act and if your a good family you have nothing to worry about!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• bmw**
    Anonymous

• trailer trash isn't about where you live..it is about how you act. Don't concern yourself with what others think. In the long run the only people you have to worry about pleasing is those you live with.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• how do u work yourself up to a CNA? I was in school for 6 weeks for my CNA..lol anyway- I think it all depends on where u live, people think of mobile homes like the campers on wheels that can plant themselves anywhere- My sister just got a double wide in a VERY nice community. It has 3 bedrooms a bathroom full size living room a garage a kitchen and a dining room. It was like 80,000 new. She isn't trailer trash, she just wanted a cheaper starter home.

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 10:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I live in a mobilehome and am the manager of the mobilehome park that we live in.My family and alot of others that live here are far from "trailor trash" there are many great hard working families that live here.Do whatever u can afford to do and who cares what "everyone" else thinks as long as u are happy thats what counts.Good luck
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• My hubby is a CNA I just meant he is trying to work his way into a higher paying CNA postion...
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 10:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I live in a 1996 trailer and it is extremely nice. All of our rooms are a good size. It is very energy efficient. Our last electric bill was $92 dollars...and that is with keeping our AC on 68. It has been in the upper 90's here. I hate the stereotype that if you live in a trailer you are automatically trailer trash. Screw that, a home is a home. It is better to have a roof over your head, than to live on the street. You provide for your family however you can without breaking the bank. I used to live in a '82 trailer and I had an average elec. bill of $130, newer is more efficient and they are built better. Good Luck in finding a place to live.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2009